How the @$!#% do you adjust a ratchet shifter?!??

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
Just got my brand new transmission installed and for the life of me I cannot get my shifter adjusted right.

Shifter is a B&M Quick Silver. I've adjusted it in park and 1st is off a little. Adjusted in 1st and park and reverse are a little weird...... so those who have ratchet shifters, how do you do it?

I've adjusted them in cars in neutral before if I was having an issue like you are having.

You may have to shorten or bend the bracket for the linkage to get more or less travel per click.

Just got my brand new transmission installed and for the life of me I cannot get my shifter adjusted right.

Shifter is a B&M Quick Silver. I've adjusted it in park and 1st is off a little. Adjusted in 1st and park and reverse are a little weird...... so those who have ratchet shifters, how do you do it?

Did you hook up the lever at the trans that comes with it or did you leave your stock one on. I don't have first hand experience at this but a friend had a very similar issue and that was his problem.

Mine and a buddies both adjusted perfectly in park and 1st. It is a very fine adjustment and a half turn of the adjustment nut off will make or break it. No issues with the bracket.

There should be a jam nut style adjustment that's part of the shifter cable by the linkage on the trans. There can't be any tension either way at the linkage for whichever position it's in, start at 1st or park and have someone click it through the gears while you move the lever by hand to make sure the linkage is in line with the lever.

Sometimes I'll have to move my shifter to start the truck because it's not bumping the neutral safety switch right, but if I adjust it differently it will stick in between gears and lock up when I take off in first

Ok, thanks guys!!!!

Went through it tonight.... hit every gear on the shifter and the cable is nice (just a touch of wobble, not pulling on the selector lever any direction)

Problem is, no third what so ever.... When Im at a stop, ill go from N to 3rd and it grabs a gear, but shifting from 1-2-3 it wont go to 3rd at all....... Im stumped on this stupid trans!!!!!!

When you go to 3rd what does it do? Stay in 2nd and drive or free rev?

I have a b and m ratchet shifter and went through the same problem, lucky for me there is actually 2 park settings in shifter for a gm application. To get it working properly I had I drill a new hole in the arm and bend it straight.

When you go to 3rd what does it do? Stay in 2nd and drive or free rev?

Just stays in 2nd. Its almost like it wont go into 3rd under load. But Ive been able to sit at a standstill, go from 3-2-1 and it feels like it hits all the gears then....... Just not going down the road.

Stupid question, On the 47RE the orange wire is 5V supply.... Would having 12v on it cause any problems? Also keep in mind, this was a 6sp. truck, so no computer hooked up controling anything at all.

Almost like the 1-2 shift valve gets stuck. I'm no expert but I would think you would just get a delayed shift or a 2-3 flare if it were releasing the front band.

So you have a full manual vb in it?

There is no 5v wire that needs hooked up, only 12v on pin 1 and a ground with switch to 6 & 7.

I have had to modify the length of the shift arm on 1 to get it to shift into all gears evenly.

a9347c739b8de43c8d462e981a0903f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost like the 1-2 shift valve gets stuck. I'm no expert but I would think you would just get a delayed shift or a 2-3 flare if it were releasing the front band.

I was just completely rebuilt last week, so I sure would hope its nothing getting stuck!!!!!

So you have a full manual vb in it?

There is no 5v wire that needs hooked up, only 12v on pin 1 and a ground with switch to 6 & 7.

I have had to modify the length of the shift arm on 1 to get it to shift into all gears evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, full Manual VB

I grabbed a meter and Im going to go over every wire today. Weird that OD and LU worked before the rebuild, and dont now. So maybe something got pinched or tugged when the trans was removed or put back in. Im going to get those taken care of and hopefully 3rd decided's to start working!

Last edited:
It'll shift into 3rd without any of the electronics hooked up. All they control are LU and OD. Sounds like you've got linkage problems still.

It'll shift into 3rd without any of the electronics hooked up. All they control are LU and OD. Sounds like you've got linkage problems still.

He has a 47RE so it's electronic.. And a manual valve body to boot. So unless e shifts it into 3rd it won't engage third. I'd suggest trying to adjust the linkage some more .. Sounds like you're not getting enough travel.

Back