How to build a S364 turbo

SmokinRamMike

GO NHRDA!
I got a turbo builder that says he can build me anything I want, I just need to do the foot work and find what parts he would need to make it all fit together I guess. I dont know the first thing about finding these part numbers or what he would need to get the job done and he doesnt want to go searching for all the info and then me not buy anything from him.

So would anyone be so kind to enlighten me on what parts it takes to build a turbo from a S300 base. Thrust bearings, exhaust housing, comp wheel, what ever it takes to get it right. And maybe I am asking for to much here but I am going to give it a try. Keep in mind that I dont know the first thing about this stuff I am just trying to do a little research.

Buy it from someone who already knows the part numbers :poke:

What turbo builder claims they can "build you anything" then sends you for part numbers?

Well he has the tools he said, but he doesnt want to do the foot work on finding the part numbers for what I want and then not buy it from him.

If I am being unreasonable just tell me and I will give up. Just didnt think it was a secret since most of the turbos on the market seem like they came from a cookie cutter.

Last edited:
I'm sure II, HTT, & ED all have the numbers. Why don't you call and ask them?

You might as well call one of those guys. It will cost about the same to piece one together and to have the machine work done and you probabaly won't get a warranty from this guy because it will be a "custom" turbo.

Yeah hand tools, thats what a custom turbo shop has good job. They dont use any milling machines or lathes they do it all with a chisel.

Forget I even asked guys, what a waste of time.

dont get your panties in a bunch. anyone who is sending you out to get part numbers isn't machining housings. like stated before, just call a turbo shop who knows what they are doing.

They're not going to give you BW part numbers! LOL

And even if they did, they buy so much of them, they tend to keep stuff on backorder so that byou have to go through them. I have a good friend who owns a turbo shop.and has been building them fo probably 20 yrs. You'll have a very hard time building one cheaper than you can buiy one.

Have your builder call me and I will see what he's looking for and how much "pre-work" he needs done. Putting "A" into "B" is easy. Making "A" fit into "B" is only easy if someone has made the required modifications and knows what pieces to use.

The part numbers you are looking for probably wouldn't make much sense to give or for you to receive.

How about starting with what truck and what you're doing with the truck? The other mods on the truck? Future mod's planned? Budget (some parts cost more than others but perform better)? Chances are a turbo builder has built one for something similar or identical even so they have the recipe ready to send to your builder. Or better yet someone on here has run your set up (or one close to it) real world and can you some very valuable info as to what to run or what to avoid.

Chris

If he wants the business period, he should be more than willing to do the footwork. Call and talk to Chris or Glen at ED.

If he wants the business period, he should be more than willing to do the footwork. Call and talk to Chris or Glen at ED.

not necess true IMO... my buddy will build anything I want, but he doesn't know the PN of every wheel and housing on earth. If I could tell him the OEM application, he can find it, and then we can get everything machined to fit and be ready to roll.

back when these S300's were first hitting the market, I looked into it, and went so far as to reverse-engineer a couple turbos, and even with him giving me good deals, the savings just wasn't there, and there was way too much legwork involved.

I just had him go through another S300 for me, and he was like "I hope the center housing is in good shape because they're on back-order right now"

by all means, there's nothing wrong with having a turbo built by someone other than the big 4 or 5 players is our little corner for hot rodding, but I'm tellin' ya, they've priced themselves right IMO.

I would highly recomend talking with Chris at E.D. I think they've got the best S300's out there. I'll let him convince you of that so that I don't come off as a cheerleader :eek: :hehe:

Seems like alot of parts came in stock john deere applications. The SB is mostly from a JD i think.

And i think a 60mm and 64mm non ett and ett also come in some JD applications. Just come in a t4 i believe.

i would just call a turbo shop and buy a S364 lol but i guess if you want to build your own just call Bullseye power and they will sell ya just the center section, exhaust housing and wheels seperately. the last compressor wheel i bought from them was like 69 bucks. and everything i need to make my S468 into a s464 they said would be 300.00 plus my used parts.

yeah, a $200 housing. the s468 is an ett turbo, and can be sold for 12-1400, spend $700 for a 464, and have 700 left over, or be down $300 if you go through bullseye.

Back