How to fix a leaking sump

bmart

I just put a sump on our 04.5 Cummins. Its the sinister pump. It was a pain. Now th one of the bolts is leaking a small drip. Just barely but enough I need to fix it. Can I tighten that bolt more or not? It has the red loctite on it that came in the kit. I wasn't sure if that would help it. If tightening doesn't help do I have to redo this entire sump again? Any help would be awesome. Thanks a lot

Well. It seems you have no choice? I'd try to tighten the bolt. If that doesn't fix it, then start over. @ 3.80 a gallon, I would think you have to fix it. One way or another.

If I do need to redo it where can I get the gasket. It barely drips at all, so hopefully tightening the bolt will get it done. Will it matter if the loctite is no longer on there since I'll twist it and it'll free up the loctite?

I don't know about the gasket, sorry. If it was me, I'd drain the tank, or run it low. Then pull it apart and start over.

Called them. They told me to put loctite on the bolt again after talking over the situation. If that doesn't work I'll have a new gasket. Ordered one just in case. Wasn't sure if that had happened to anyone else befote

Yes this had happened at our shop more than once, sinister was good about getting new gaskets and hardware out. Both times invloved removing the units to reinstall.

After that we switched to the FASS sumps with double inlayed o-rings, seals right the first time & no fuel lines under the truck.

I have the same sump in both trucks. I used right stuff on both sides of the gasket. No leaks.

Back