how to get more fuel pressure on a 7.3

strokin09

diesel nut
ok im looking for a way to increase my fuel pressure on my 7.3 i know that chips will give me more fuel but i am looking for something like dj's fuel pressure intensifier for my 2000 7.3 psd any help would be apperciated

A chip does not increase fuel pressure.

Fuel pressure on a PSD is mechanically controlled. Looking directly at the fuel bowl, the regulator is on the driver's side of the bowl.

Increasing the pressure by itself won't net you any real horsepower gains. However, it does help to "smooth" out the engine, most noticeably at idle. In bone stock form, most PSD's register betwen 40-55 psi of fuel pressure. Most people find the sweet spot to be between 60-70 psi.

In order to increase fuel pressure, you have to modify the stock regulator, or bypass it and install an external regulator. Of course, maintaining increased pressure will directly correlate to the strength of your fuel pump. The stock fuel pump can typically hold 60-70 psi on stock injectors, even with a chip. If the pump is a little weak, pressures can drop a bit on hard acceleration.

Last time I was on the dyno I did 633rwhp on Dunbars and the fuel pressure was 39psi.

Ask me how much I think fuel pressure makes or breaks a 7.3L powerstroke.

If your looking for more fuel psi, Gillett diesel sells a larger fuel psi spring replacing the stock one. It ups the psi to ~80-100 psi

I understand that, I got it just to see what it will do. It was just a cheap upgrade thats all. I have heard of a few people sticking bbs in with the stock spring, but I didn't want to take the risk of having the bb get sucked into the system. I'm currently saving up for a regulated return/ Airdog system for my truck.

I would like to know what kind of programming and size of turbo the 633 rwhp was using to get that. I would love to see that on mine.

I understand that, I got it just to see what it will do. It was just a cheap upgrade thats all. I have heard of a few people sticking bbs in with the stock spring, but I didn't want to take the risk of having the bb get sucked into the system. I'm currently saving up for a regulated return/ Airdog system for my truck.

you should check out dieselsite.com they have a really nice fuel system for the 7.3

I would like to know what kind of programming and size of turbo the 633 rwhp was using to get that. I would love to see that on mine.

you should be seeing close numbers with all the work you have done to that motor...get it live tuned

Similar power has been made on mid 70mm single chargers consistently. I know of 4 or 5 guys all making similar and more power on single chargers.

I happen to run a set of compounds because mine is my daily driver. But compounds aren't required for the power, just required for the "type" of power I wanted.

The programming is my own, although conceptually based on the same principles that Jonathan at Swamps Diesel uses. I had run his programming for years before I located my own software a couple years ago.

That power can be had numerous different ways, by different people and for different uses. There's no reason why you can't go out and make the same or much more.

carefull how much pressure you try to make. i believe you will have problems with the fuel drain valve if you get too high.

Similar power has been made on mid 70mm single chargers consistently. I know of 4 or 5 guys all making similar and more power on single chargers.

I'm one of em :D

Brian, Carson, Scotty, Joe, Matthew, Scott and several others come to mind....

To the OP, do you want to keep the stock fuel system?

thanks guys im new to the world of 7.3 and any help would be nice in trying to find the easyest way to make some where around 400 to 450 with out breaking the bank if u know what i mean and i thought more fuel pressure with more air idk anything will help tell me if im going the right way about this

thanks guys im new to the world of 7.3 and any help would be nice in trying to find the easyest way to make some where around 400 to 450 with out breaking the bank if u know what i mean and i thought more fuel pressure with more air idk anything will help tell me if im going the right way about this

The fuel pressure you're talking about does not effect the injection pressure in any notable way. This fuel pressure on a powerstroke is akin to "lift pump" pressure on a mech or CR engine. While you need to make sure you have adequate pressure to ensure proper filling, more pressure doesn't make more power because it doesn't change the injection quantity as long as the system was sufficiently supplied to begin with.

Which is why it will have very little if any effect on power output, or fuel injected.

Back