How to to cut front coils?

12valveauto

I'm going to lower my 2nd gen RCLB 4x4 I got new ubolts for the rear I Plan to take out the 4in block and not Tuch the spring packs how much do I need to cut out of the front coils? Imput please??

I think cutting one full coil out will net you close to 3" of drop.

Ive been meaning to cut half a coil out of mine but havent found the time yet.

Your driveshafts may bind. I would pull the coils out and drop the front down to test the driveshaft angle.

Last edited:
So I may have to have my driveshafts cut down? I think 2wd springs would be to short ?? I hear guys say they use hemi coils are thy 2wd or 4x4 I'm unclear as to witch ones they use. I seen slims truck it looks sick that is how I would like my truck to set when I'm done.

If you pull the rear block you wont need to cut springs for a level look. I did just that. If you lose springs and the block, then you may have to. At that point driveshafts need shortening.

I'm going to lower my 2nd gen RCLB 4x4 I got new ubolts for the rear I Plan to take out the 4in block and not Tuch the spring packs how much do I need to cut out of the front coils? Imput please??

Do a search under my name and lowering. I had a thread with some good details in it if memory serves. I didn't take the stock 4.75" block and just ride on the axle pad but went to a 1.5" billet alum block. The thread should give you an idea of how much to remove. Good luck. I had no drive shaft bind at 3.25" lower in the rear.

In the rear i left all the stock springs(minus the tow spring mounted on top) and went to a 2" tall block. I dont have any drive shaft bind, but i also have trac bars to keep the rear end from moving forward and potentially causing an issue.

Front is still stock height here, rear lowered 2.75"
IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

Mathews8pt truck looks good but I would like to go even lower. I seen slims truck on here a few weeks agao it's a RCLB white 12 valve with 20x12 rockstars it looks sick and it said he removed the rear block and used hemi coils but never said 2 or 4 wheel drive

I believe he used 4wd hemi springs.

I think there is a good chance you will need to shorten driveshafts if your going that low.

BTW, my truck looks lower in person. I didnt want to get too crazy though, just change it up a little.

Last edited:
I have a set of 01 springs out of a 360 gas 2500 or would those be the same as what I have on my 12v?

Depending how far you go below stock, you may want to consider a custom trac bar so that your axle will stay centered. But again I have no experience with lowering the front below stock height...

I have a set of 01 springs out of a 360 gas 2500 or would those be the same as what I have on my 12v?

If its anything like the Fords then yes it will drop it some, its just a lighter rate spring which could result in a "bouncy-ness" under the heavyer diesel...I say try the 360 springs or cut your current ones Chris.

I'm not worried about the driveshafts Marcus cut almost 2 coils out and had no problems so I think I maybe ok there.

my truck was an 1" from the bumpstops in the front and the driveshaft was fine but i did have to cut 1-2" from the track bar.

I cut 1-1/2 coils from the front and pulled the blocks out of the back. Drive shafts are fine on mine but now from 7-85mph it has a small shimmy that I can't seem to get rid of. But other than that its fine.

also had to remove the front bump stops cause it had about .00001" of travel before it hit

Last edited:
Depending how far you go below stock, you may want to consider a custom trac bar so that your axle will stay centered. But again I have no experience with lowering the front below stock height...

Adjustable solid steel 3rd gen track bar on my truck so I was able to stay centered. I would highly recommend an adjustable piece if going anywhere from stock height.

Well it's done removed rear blocks cut about 1 3/4 coils out looks great rides ok no shimmy.but I am going to look into the 3rd gen track bar.where can I pick one up and do I have to get something to adapt it to my 2nd gen?

Back