how weak is an NV4500 3rd gear?

motorwood

Been pulling a getrag for 3 years, now have an nv4500, was told not to use 3rd gear because its weak. I have around 650hp/1300 trq. Advice?

I had about the same power the last time I pulled in 3rd with 35's but never put the power to the ground! Never hurt 3rd but i did manage to busted 4th on the street...

How many has taking out 3rd while sled pulling?

Its not if it breaks but when. I would regear to stay out of it if your making any kind of power its going to break eventually. Especially if you get it to hook hard

DISTURBED is telling u some good advise, if its a puller and doesnt see the road i would do what jedeka mentioned!

The other option is a ProFab gear set in the NV4500 case, but will still require regearing.

The other option is a ProFab gear set in the NV4500 case, but will still require regearing.

And cost another $3500 for the profab kit. I have mulling over getting it though.

Bottom line use 4th gear

I pulled 3rd Gear with 3.55's for years and never broke it.....but I was probably only making 550HP

Honestly if its strictly a pulling truck you will gain A LOT from swapping to 4.88's or 5.13's

How bout 1st and 2nd are they as weak as 3rd? 3.54's and a 1.95 4low mean 1or 2nd gear pulling. I do drive it so 5.13's are out.

4th is a direct gear the counter shaft isn't used. All other gears are weaker than 4th

If it never broke why change it? maybe I missed it? Where did you get a bigger input shaft for the getrag?

I had a driveshaft come out on the dyno at 132mph broke my case. Had it made by SCS its for sale $400

I run a nv4500 planning on going to 4.88s and running 4th gear, how would 4.88s work?

What is rough cost to regear front and rear to 4.88's with a good gear set?

Back