how weak is an NV4500 3rd gear?

What is rough cost to regear front and rear to 4.88's with a good gear set?

1200-1500 without changing the carriers

If buying all new parts and paying a shop labor then Disturbed is correct.

I shopped around watched the classifieds on the forums like a hawk and I was able to grab some good deals on stuff, and then I had a friend who knew how to set up gears. I did both axles in 4.88's locked for less than $1,000.

Going to 4.88 gears from 3.54 or 4.10 is going to require a carrier change.

I just went and looked real quick and the price on 4.88 have seemed to come down. Last year the ones for the d80 were over 500 now they are under 300 new. The d60 is 215 so you could do the gear swap for 600 with new parts. Depending on your current ratio you could do it pretty cheap but with a carrier change it would be in the price range I gave earlier depending on if a spool was used or welded open carrier doing it yourself. The Dana gears are over $500 for the d80

Last edited:
2nd Gear?? Are you still using the NP205 T-Case??? getting to 4th gear is going to be alot harder with that T-Case...

I paid 961.00 for 4:88's front and rear with master kits and a ring gear spacer for the front to use 4:88's on a 4:10 carrier. That price was out the door to my door. USA gears

I don't remember the exact ratio's.. but the 241 and 271 T-Case are about 30% slower than the 205 case... remember that when you look at the recommendations listed above for gear ratio's...
I"m interested to see how long the 205 holds together... (have one sitting in at truck that hasn't made it to the track..) I know some of the mud guys have bracing built around the 205 to hold it together..

i was told that if i went with nv4500 set up then i should get billet 3rd and 4th gears

Along with this. Where are you guys getting your gears/shafts for the nv4500s. Talked to quad 4x4 and they can only get the aftermarket stuff now and seems everyone else can only get aftermarket stuff. Says made in Korea on there site

i was told that if i went with nv4500 set up then i should get billet 3rd and 4th gears

Well someone lied to you since there isn't a billet gear for a 4500 unless you go with a Profab setup and 4th is made into the main shaft so you can't change just the gear

I paid 961.00 for 4:88's front and rear with master kits and a ring gear spacer for the front to use 4:88's on a 4:10 carrier. That price was out the door to my door. USA gears
How many of you other guys are running USA gears??
Haven't heard much about them and wondering how they hold up?

So I'm new to pulling with a 12v and have a 4500. What size tires are you guys running with 4.10s to stay in 2nd all the time. I have to pull the trans on my truck I just bought because the trans is grinding into most gears. Whats a good site or does someone have links to where I may find aftermarket parts for these.

Back