HP question?

DOUBLE NICKEL

I just bought a 06 LBZ Duramax and it has a banks ram air intake and a banks exhaust system and am wanting to get a PPE excelerator. How much horsepower would it put down at the rear wheels? This is my first Duramax so don't know much about them. I assume the banks intake and exhaust is an ok product but wouldn't run any of there tuners. Also would the stock tranny hold up with this setup? It will be mainly highway driving and pull a 6-7k pound camper here and there.

The durability of the transmission really depends on how high you set the PPE programmer and how you drive the truck. I will say that I have not seen too many of the 6 speeds that limped, but when they are run hard, you will have burnt clutches when you take them apart. Given enough time and abuse, they'll start to feel it. If you want to add a little extra insurance, you can throw a Transgo Jr shift kit in there to help keep it alive. They can be found for under $100, and a competent mechanic should be able to install it in less than 2 hours even taking his time.

Again, the power depends on where you set the PPE and which one you get. There are four different levels to choose from. Their maximum power increases are 120, 225, 300, and 425. Those numbers are supposed to be gains at the flywheel, but if you get the standard Xcelerator (the 225 HP model) and set it on max, you will probably be in the 425 to 450 HP range at the rear wheels.

Yes, the Banks exhaust and intake are some of the best quality out there. They're just spendy.

I made 481 on the 300 tune with a suncoast and a friend made 509 with a transgo jr and a SC 1056 converter on the 350 tune.
I wouldn't pull the camper above the 160 probably

Subscribing..

Gaining interest in the Dmax... May try to own one some day for a tow rig / daily

When I win the lotto of course..lol

You definately need to invest in a transgo, when we tune trucks with stock tranny and transgo we try to stay around 450 to the wheels max to be safe. The transgo will let the trans hold more than the converter can take so you are still on borrowed time.

Thanks guys this helps alot. Is the excelerator model the best one to get and is it just one model or several deferent models? And where is the best place to order one? Thanks again

The PPE is the best canned unit you can get. The best period is custom tuning using EFILive or HP Tuners. There are several people who sell tunes if you don't want to mess with it yourself.

Well who makes the best efi live tune? I don't want to have to have a computer to tune it. I do carry a laptop with my job but don't wanna mess with it. I just want the best tune I can buy without having to change anything else out on the truck also. The truck has plenty power for what I do as is but would like a tuner just to have the extra power when I need it. I need the truck to stay reliable as I count on my truck for my job as I travel all over Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma so I put alot of highway miles. Also what kind of mileage would I be looking at? And I'd like a tuner that I can detune and change settings if I needed to, if it is a custom efi live tune wouldn't it be stuck on 1 setting?

There's a 5-position switch & tuning available for on-the-fly switching with efi live.

As mentioned, there are plenty good tuners to set you up with efi live so that you won't have to worry about anything except drive it with the power setting you desire.

Anything north of 425rwhp is going to wear the trans out eventually if that power is used very often.

Later

Ok I figured they probly did. What is the name of his tune?

He makes all tunes specific for each truck on the dyno. You tell him what you want it to do and he sets up your tune that way. If you're wanting something just for mileage, transmission safe, or "blow the hell up" he'll tune it as you please lol

What would be the average cost for someone to Totally setup up a guy with EFI Live, 5 position switch, and the 5 customs tunes From Jump Street...??

Duramax

Swole, If you get a duramax you will throw stones at that old dodge!!:kick: lol. I really do think they are a hard truck to beat all around. Jeff

EFI V2 is 799.00, DSP 5 switch and custom tuning is 150.00, shipping is extra. Not sure what "Jump Street" charges.

EFI V2 is 799.00, DSP 5 switch and custom tuning is 150.00, shipping is extra. Not sure what "Jump Street" charges.

LOL

Sorry man! That's some of my slang for , "right up front" or "From the start"!
:lolly:

I just mean't, if someone were to buy a Dmax and want the setup right off the bat (of course after taking care of the lift pump addition and tranny mods), what it would cost for the total setup..

Thanks for the answer!!

He makes all tunes specific for each truck on the dyno. You tell him what you want it to do and he sets up your tune that way. If you're wanting something just for mileage, transmission safe, or "blow the hell up" he'll tune it as you please lol

Ok awesome do you know about how much he charges for a custom tune? I would defiantly want the 5 position switch to adjust for how much I am needing at the time

Could he do it to were level 1 would be stock and then have maybe a 50,100,150,200 horse increase as level 2-5?

Back