HP record WITHOUT studs/orings

B18B1LS1

What kind of numbers have people turned without the basic studs and o-ring setups? If cylinder pressures and drive pressures are the head gasket killer what would a big ole laggy single do? Assuming the setup peaked a little higher than a normal street machine it could pushed a little harder up top right? Just curious whats possible?

Im not sure about the Numbers but why play Russian roulette wit the motor, ya risk putting oil in your coolant and having a mess!:pop:

Ian

Garmon trucks dont uses studs, just stock headbolts. He builds some high HP engines.

For the record I'm just curious whats been done in the past. I have MANY more things to do besides make more power. I need a tranny badly.

And I am wondering more about virgin engines, stock headbolts, stock head gasket, stock compression!

I did 587 and all was good. Adding nitrous made that gasket go bye bye.

My gasket was holding fine at 250,000 miles with 500RWHP. When I upped the power, the gasket started to let go. I am now running around with alot less power to keep things in place until I find some time to actually fix it. It is holding fine with roughly 350 guesstimated horsepower for now.:bang

I think a cometic mls gasket with stock studs will hold a lot of power. I have seen a couple trucks pushing over 450hp with stock stuff, my truck is one of them. Definately over 500 with water/meth when I use it, but I need my truck right now, so I don't use it. I have over 200,000miles on my truck too!

I've been as high as 496hp with stock head bolts and stock headgasket. My last dyno was 451hp and I've run water/meth on the stock 146k mile headgasket with 12mm studs.

I know you said no studs, but!!
2001, 130K, Stock HG/VP44, ARP studs, HTT 64-14 with LDP wheel, DD cam and 12v lift pump, Edge Drag Comp, AFE race filter, Straight pipe, DDP injectors, very very little NO2, 816 HP and still on the road today!!!
WHAWHA!!

Geeze man! Is the 24v less prone to blowing headgaskets or is yours just a freak?!

B18B1LS1 said:
Geeze man! Is the 24v less prone to blowing headgaskets or is yours just a freak?!
HAHA! I dunno, but we tried to blow it up. Took it to the track like a half a dozen times on full kill also, never even hiccuped!!

Back in 2003 I helped on a truck that made 800 on Diesel fuel. It had no studs, no orings and a stock headgasket. Bolts were retq'd to 119 ft lbs one time.

It finally blew on a run with way too much timing advance. Around 30 degrees.

514 rwhp 1096 rwtq

was my best dyno with 370s laser cuts, 0 plate full forward, afc full forwards, rips twins, 16.5 degrees of timing, may have been a fluke, but the stock hg and bolts held well...

Now im in definite need of a HG and studs.... and im guessin at minimum im at those numbers now with better injectors and more..

Rick

Back