HP vs. Mileage What will she hold??

oldsmokey97

What horsepower are yall around about with the mileage on your shortblocks.

Reason being is .... since it is taking me longer to build/pay for my new motor that i am building, I had taken the motor out of another truck of mine (old beater "95") and put it in my "pretty and comfortable truck" which is the one that i am building and the one that is listed in my sig.
Anyways, i bought the truck a few years ago and used it as a farm truck it has about 340,000 on the engine and i was wondering how many of my toys that i can put on her and she not let me down.

Its just soo sad to see all my money and fun stuff sitting on the floor in my shop just collecting dust.

Lance

Have you had the head of of it? Just wondering how the cylinder walls looked.

I wouldnt be scared to slap some parts on her.

Maybe do the injectors, studs (or just do a retorque on the head bolts), and the 64mm turbo. That will wake her up.

These motors are pretty darn tough.

Teddy Bear's puller has the original engine with nothing but head work, and a cam. It has right around 230k miles on it and he's been pulling it for 3 years at around 600hp and hasnt touched it, so that puts a good bit of faith in me. Another buddy pulls his truck with around 300k on it and probably 550hp or so and he hasnt touched it either.

They are pretty tough. I doubt if i will go too big with mine while im still daily driving it for reliability's sake though.

Eric

I thought the project X truck that Comp built had like 250K miles on it. I thought i saw a dyno sheet or two in the 800-900 HP range.

If the motor was running well when you put it in, I'd throw the twins, big pump and whole works at it.

when i swapped..... i did put some studs in it.
I did not pull the head because i was thinking that if the HG has held for the past 340,000 then i am NOT going to break the good seal that it has now. The studs should save me some room for sticking some parts on her.

It runs good.

i think the 64 will find a temporary home after doing a retorque or two on the head.

what yall think? Any more input would be awesome.

Lance

I don't think I would let the mileage worry me. If the engine runs well right now, I don't see why it couldn't handle mods as well.

I was at 512 rwhp on my 98 with twin turbos. And it looked great when he finally popped the head gasket on it at right about 300k. My dually was over 500 rwhp And it looked great when I pulled the head off at 270k.
I have never had a head gasket leak at the fire ring. Always on my stuff it leaked water out the side of the block. And it seemed the head gasket turned to mush. I have never had a short block problem. So go for it

My 95 has 356K on it...head has never been off, stock head bolts...ran twins for about 3 years, and have blown up about 6 turbo's with that truck, just been abused, heaving towing, etc, etc.
The DD clutch finally took out the thrust bearing at 345K, so I rolled bearings in it, and swapped in a cam...she runs better than ever now, maybe has a little more blowby than my 98, but it's had a LOT of hard miles on it:D

Don't be scared of it!
Chris

you can do whatever. these motors hold up to a hell of a beating. i wouldn't be that worried about millage. just drop your 64mm in and go have a blast.

reason that i am now scared is... the motor listed in my sig was only put in about three years ago, but i did not rebuild if myself , it was bought from a reputible shop that i will NOT say the name of. So the mileage was only at around 80,000 and she spun the rod bearing on #2 and the rest of the bearings looked like crap. Anyways this has just been something that i think about everytime i get on it. Its almost like i am waiting on it to lock up on my like the last one that had about 280,000 miles less on it.

Last weekend the beer was flowing like water down my throat and i did a couple 4200 rpm launches and doughnuts in my buddies pasture and it did good. So it runs alright i guess.

Lance