HT3B twisting turbine wheel off problem

DieselWrencher

6cyl Vette
I went to twins on the corvette this year and am having a little issue and want your guys' opinion on if this sounds right. I have a 64/65/14 S300 on top and a 76mm HT3B on the bottom. I'll start out back in April at Ennis, Tx. We made 3 runs there, which the 2nd one we had some problems. When the car came back to the pits I popped the hood and the air shut off was shut and the cold pipe blew a boot at the inlet of the secondary. Put it back together and ran it one more time.

We get back to Iowa and fix the transmission issues we had in Tx. My brother took the car on the street and test drove it. He was seeing 30-35psi at the primary and 70-75psi after the secondary. he brought it back and I let my friend drive it. He was gone for a while and when he came back he did a huge burn out in front of the house. He got side ways and let out of it but then got right back on it and it went pop! To tell a long story short, the turbine wheel exited the housing. The shaft was bent and the compressor side is perfect. The bearings are perfect, I checked oil supply and it is right on, checked oil return and it is fine.

We purchase another HT3B, put it on and ran it last saturday. The car went 11.55 at 117mph but blew the primary just after the 1/8th mile. Today I called BW and the tech there thinks we are over speeding the turbo. That was the only thing I could think of too seeing how both turbos bent their shafts and tossed the wheels out of the housings.

Here is the pictures of the first junk HT3B. I will get pics of the 2nd in a bit. Feel free to give input. i am leaning on going to a S475 or S480 now. I originally was going to go with a S475 but in March they were on back order and I had to have the car running for Ennis, so I opted to use the HT3B. I guess that was a dumb idea on my part.

DSC09564.jpg

DSC09565.jpg

DSC09566.jpg

DSC09568.jpg

IMG00016-20100418-0117.jpg

Here is an old pic of when we were fitting them to the car. Since these pictures I have went to v-band connections on the cold pipe.

DSC00129-1.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

How large of an exhaust housing are you running on the HT3B?

Are you externally gating around the top 64/65 turbo or just using the internal wastegates?

Just go S400 and forget it...Engineered Diesel had the S475's in stock a month ago, don't know about now though.

BTW, if you're only seeing 35psi or so in the cold pipe, unless you have a massive leak in the cold pipe, I can't see overspeeding a 3B like that....JMHO
Chris

Just go S400 and forget it...Engineered Diesel had the S475's in stock a month ago, don't know about now though.

BTW, if you're only seeing 35psi or so in the cold pipe, unless you have a massive leak in the cold pipe, I can't see overspeeding a 3B like that....JMHO
Chris

That is my plan. I guess the HT3B's can't hang out with turbos larger than 62mm from what I'm learning now. I'm guessing that the 2 people that have driven the car never really paid a lot of attention to the boost gauges so the 35 may not be exact. But with 2 almost exact failed turbos, it can only be one thing. Bye bye HT3B. :hehe:

You'd think with a 1.32 housing and just using the internal gate on the 64, you wouldn't have a problem overspeeding the HT3B. Maybe you unluckily purchased two bad ones? I know that sledpullers get away with 50+ psi on the HT3B's.

According to BW, the 64mm S300 isn't working enough causing the HT3B doing all the work, and the turbine shaft can't handle it.I'm going to have to agree with them. Something isn't right, and I'm not going to put a third one on and try to find out why, again. :hehe:

So crank the wastegate down and blow the S300 up:hehe: :hehe:

See what they say then...
Chris:D

I bet it'll be a long of the same lines as what I have now......................... Good luck............ um no thanks. :hehe:

I still can't see working that 3B that hard, unless your 64's gate is stuck wide open.

Chris

Thats exactly what happened to my ht3b so i went s480 and havent had any probs. Im runnin 62/71/13ss secondary

What about an Ht60? aren't they the turbo that replaced the 3b? They flow more air too...

Well, looks like I'm not going S400 either. might go the garrett route if all works out. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has had HT3B failures.

What about an Ht60? aren't they the turbo that replaced the 3b? They flow more air too...

Yes it is, but I can't see installing a HT60 just to see if it works and risk blowing it up. It might live, it might not. As you can see my luck is chit, so I'm not risking it. :hehe:

Are the shafts the same size? I remember the shaft on my HT60 looking huge...

Back