HT3B twisting turbine wheel off problem

i had the exact same problem with the ht3b. i also blew two of them. one time i was on the street not really driving them that hard and the other time i just crossed the traps on a 12.7 pass and.... pop. i was rumming a hx40 over an ht3b. a local shop built the twins for me. the hx40 used the internal wastegate and the ht3b was not waste gated. after the 3b blew the second time. i pulled the twins off and want to a pro52 (for now). the shop said they had no idea why they kept blowing. they said they had another guy running the same set up as mine and he was having the same problems too. i just figured it was how they were setting them up. ill run the pro52 for awhile untill i start to research and build my own set. id like to get the 5 speed swap done first.. but all good things come in time

i had the exact same problem with the ht3b. i also blew two of them. one time i was on the street not really driving them that hard and the other time i just crossed the traps on a 12.7 pass and.... pop. i was rumming a hx40 over an ht3b. a local shop built the twins for me. the hx40 used the internal wastegate and the ht3b was not waste gated. after the 3b blew the second time. i pulled the twins off and want to a pro52 (for now). the shop said they had no idea why they kept blowing. they said they had another guy running the same set up as mine and he was having the same problems too. i just figured it was how they were setting them up. ill run the pro52 for awhile untill i start to research and build my own set. id like to get the 5 speed swap done first.. but all good things come in time

Im confused?????? why would you want a 5speed manual if youve got an Auto running 12.7??? :what:

Looking at your pictures, it almost looks like your HT3B is close enough to the frame to make contact when the motor torques/twists toward the passenger side.

If that's the case, maybe the compressor housing is making contact with the frame and putting additional stress on the turbo's shaft???

I'm just throwing out ideas here. Less than 40 psi on the HT3B seems well within reasonable pressure ratio/design shaft rpm limits.

Im confused?????? why would you want a 5speed manual if youve got an Auto running 12.7??? :what:

Yeah it ran 12.7. But its just a truck that plays sometimes. I don't have the wallet to go racing every weekend, plus the expense of parts everytime she breaks. I just enjoy driving a stick. That's all.

It looks close in those pics but has plenty of clearance. If that were the case you would think it would be the compressor side having the issue. I have also learned that some of these borg warner HT3B's aren't really "new" like they claim. Some of the turbine shafts are a refused piece and not nearly as strong as a new shaft. But BW denies this. Who do you believe? :hehe:

Let me start by saying I love what you are working on. Conversions are awesome and you seem very dedicated to making this work. With that said, have you considered just running a single with/without spray? A 12v with the right tuning and a 64 will do 700HP on the motor. With all the money and time you have invested in the twins, it doesn't seem like you are really making all that much power (at least based on your e.t). The single (maybe a 66) would be cheaper, easier to plumb, easier to tune, lighter, etc.

Or even a larger single...68-71mm...

Twins are nice, but simplicity is a good thing if you aren't making the big power yet.

Coming from the guy putting triple 71's on his 1/2 ton:hehe: :hehe:
Chris

Let me start by saying I love what you are working on. Conversions are awesome and you seem very dedicated to making this work. With that said, have you considered just running a single with/without spray? A 12v with the right tuning and a 64 will do 700HP on the motor. With all the money and time you have invested in the twins, it doesn't seem like you are really making all that much power (at least based on your e.t). The single (maybe a 66) would be cheaper, easier to plumb, easier to tune, lighter, etc.

There is a 66 in my truck 20ft away from the vette ill sell you.LOL You cant really base the cars power on e.t since it hasnt made it down the track successful yet.

garrett gt4202 if you find one off a semi, some came with a wastegated ex housing.... it should be in the size range you are looking for,,

700hp sounds like a bit much out of a 64 IMO. Besides, it has a 64 on top and had a 64 before twins. We'll find out what it can do with just the 64 when it gets back here.

Kyle, you had a 66 didn't you? LOL

Couldnt expect less from you. I wish i could say i had a 66 maybe if someone would buy it.

We dont really want to use the 10lbs bottle of nitrous sitting in the shop. Someone is urging us to run fuel only and helping us spend the money to get her going again. And i can see 700HP on spray with a 64 but id hate to see it go boom. We shall see which one of these turbos will work and see how far they go over the BW re manufactured "new" HT3Bs.

Well, we are making over 700 on fuel only with a 64, so that's where I was coming from. Good luck with it!

Back