HX40 is out,SPS66 is in!

mhuggler

One piece at a time
First off, installation was a breeze! It looks like I.I. changed the wastegate actuator mounting bracket. I didn't have to mod the drain tube at all and I still had tons of clearance.:thankyou2: After a brief break-in, I did some testing. First thing I noticed was the sound; it has a cool whine to it but it isn't near as loud as the HX40.:frown: Spool-up isn't bad at all, in fact I am quite impressed with it given the rotational mass of this turbo. Now for the bad news; EGT's are marginally better than the 40. I was running 42 psi. with the 40(wastegate was set for 36) and I could peg the pyro at will(1600*F). The 66 came out of the box running over 50 psi. of boost and 1400* exh temps. This is with the TST on level 5. I cranked the boost back to 42 psi. and now the pyro pegs just as fast as the HX40!:bang There are no boost or exh leaks, already checked that. What gives? I guess my question would be... Is the SPS66 over-rated or is the HX40 under-rated?(Bear in mind this wasn't a box stock 40, HTT did a good job with it) What kind of egt's are you guys seeing with the 66?

my etc 5-spd truck lost 200 degrees across the board going to a HTT super stock 62 so I would think you would get a better EGT reduction than I got.

Forrest Nearing said:
I'm thinkin' crank the boost back up to 50psi :confused:
What boost pressure is the sps66 supposed to be run at? My guage only goes up to 50psi. and II had it set higher than that! I tried to run 42psi because I don't have headstuds yet. Actually I was trying for 40psi but it wouldn't go that low!:ft::hehe:

tony597fitter said:
Guess your going to have to buy studs, and a new headgasket.
Its only money.
Tell me about it.:Throwup: I just saw on Industrial's website that they say the sps66 can support 750 hp. NO WAY!:bs: Even with the boost cranked over 50psi I'm still runnin 1400* exh. temps. I'm barely at the 500 mark, I can't even imagine how hot 750 would be.

Generalizations regarding the HP support of any turbo based on your EGTs is a gross over simpliflication. There are lots of factors that contribute to EGTs.

they didn't say 750 hp at 1200* on diesel... they said 750hp.

where did you get this magical 1400* number as the end of the horsepower line?

Just because you are over 1400* doesn't mean that the turbo won't support it. In a perfect world we would only hit 1200* at our max HP but this ain't a perfect world by far. Once I get twins I'm gonna quit caring about how high my egt's go. Just so long as they stay in a somewhat normal world through the 1/4 I'm fine. Heck, I'm hitting 1600* by the end of the 1/8 mile but the truck is still running good.

A SPS 66 or a Silver 66 will work there best at 45-50 on my truck. Currently I have it set at 40 testing the max boost on the bottle and the #2 only is just not quite there, EGT's are higher but not a huge amount.....100 degrees or so.

With everthing right and running about 47 psi I can still make 1700 degrees, this is at 600 hp, 1500+ on Water, if I add fuel via Dragon Flows the EGT's actually go down both with and with the bottle. Either one of those turbo's will make there best power on a CR, 12V's are just harder to do, can't say it won't do it but I haven't.

Jim

Well, I suppose I'm just guilty of making assumptions again.(I do it all the time; give me another month or so and you'll see me do it again.)LOL I was just checking out the F1 injector thread, maybe my dirty jammer 4's are partially to blame? I'm planning on getting a set of mach 4's anyway, perhaps some better injectors will help. Time will tell......:pop:

a set of better injectors will help with reducing the heat. it will also help cause of the spray pattern and not just dumping the fuel in.

SKYNYRD said:
a set of better injectors will help with reducing the heat. it will also help cause of the spray pattern and not just dumping the fuel in.
"Dumping the fuel in" would be a good way to describe these nozzles. The only time I don't have at least some kind of haze out the stacks is at idle.:Throwup:

Back