I lost 5th gear......

a24vc

Direct Deposit
Well on my way to work yesterday I was getting on the freeway and went to shift into 5th and there was nothing. There is a slight gear grinding noise when it's in 5th when you let the clutch out. I'm at a loss, where did it go? It's a 2wd nv4500 in a 95'

My guess is it didn't like how it was being treated, so it took it's ball and went home.

Google 5th gear nut. Vibration backs it off the splined part of the shaft, IIRC.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If it still has reverse, the nut most likely backed off but there is a chance the spline stripped out of the 5th gear synchro cone. If you lost reverse as well then the 5th gear syncro cone came off. You can pull the rear trans cover with the trans in the truck and see what happened. If you'r lucky everything is still intact and you only need to tighten or replace a few parts.

Last edited:
If it still has reverse, the nut most likely backed off but there is a chance the spline stripped out of the 5th gear synchro cone. If you lost reverse as well then the 5th gear syncro cone came off. You can pull the rear trans cover with the trans in the truck and see what happened. If you'r lucky everything is still intact and you only need to tighten or replace a few parts.

Thanks for the help, I'll chek it out. Can further damage be caused if it is driven? Until the parts get here?

You will still have reverse with the 5th SYNCHRO RING splines stripped unless its jammed and wont let it go in reverse... I drove mine for awhile with them splines stripped but I wouldn't recommend.

Here I am trying to be funny, and you guys go and et all serious :(. Anyway, Ar and LReiff are correct: you got a Code 4500. Congratulations :clap:

Not recommending it but fwiw my old HS buddy drive his "4 speed" for almost a year before he quit being a lazy dumb @$$ and got it fixed.
My buddies farm truck went 4 or 5 years without 5th

It's an easy enough fix most times to just spend the afternoon and fix it

here are some photos, everything appears to be correct.... but i guess i dont know what im looking at so maybe someone can help me

and one more thing, when you go to put it into 5th, the shifter hits the dash. could it be something in the top cover?

Attachments

• photo 5th.JPG
    photo 5th.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 5th1.JPG
    photo 5th1.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
try turning the synchro cone down on the counter shaft if it turns and the counter shaft doesn't the splines are stripped.. To fix take snap ring off and replace cone

Edit The synchro cone is the last thing on the end of the counter shaft besides the snap ring

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341781565.974952.jpg
The back fork attaches to the finger you see coming up from the side it is possible that something there got broke

Last edited:
Here's some detailed pics I took today that goes along well with what fire power is describing.

The snap ring that fire power is talking about on the back of the countershaft holding the clutch down.
IMG_20120708_134313.jpg

Clutch removed.
IMG_20120708_133853.jpg

Friction cone, make sure to put petroleum jelly on the clutch or friction cone when reinstalling.
IMG_20120708_133608.jpg

The 5th gear hub, take a look at the little springs and struts, make sure they're seated properly. When checking to see if the gear spins grab onto the gear behind the sleeve, not the hub.
IMG_20120708_133501.jpg

Installation is reverse order of the above pictures.

Also when looking under the shift tower make sure that the reverse shift pads are still in place.
IMG_20120708_175807.jpg

Something that can break on the back fork that fire power mentioned could be the roll pin, it's possible that it fell out. Here's what one looks like just before being punched in.
IMG_20120708_132652.jpg

It could also be an issue with the poppet spring for the 5th/reverse rail.

If the snap ring is missing could that cause te loss of 5th? Mine was MIA after I did some more looking. Thank you for the pictures, it's a big help

that could've happened but I bet when it did it stripped the splines on the cone

If the snap ring came off the slider will never engage the teeth. It will just push the synchro and drive away. If the teeth are all still there, a new snap ring should fix you up.

i don't see any kind of retainer device for your 5th gear nut. Is that a stock shaft and nut? If so, I'd at least put the revised nut and/or double nut it with a setscrew locking nut while you're in there...

EDIT: Seems nobody is ever taught this anymore, but when you put the new snap ring on, the side with the sharp, squared off edges should be AWAY from the hub. Putting the smooth, rounded edges on that side increases the likelyhood of pressure popping the snap ring off, since the rounded edges give a bit of a ramp surface.

Last edited:
As far as I know it is a stock shaft. The nut is stock.

EDIT: Seems nobody is ever taught this anymore, but when you put the new snap ring on, the side with the sharp, squared off edges should be AWAY from the hub. Putting the smooth, rounded edges on that side increases the likelyhood of pressure popping the snap ring off, since the rounded edges give a bit of a ramp surface.

Good to know, this wasn't mentioned in the two rebuild manuals I used. I just went out there and flipped it, but couldn't see much of a difference on the edges unless if looked at real close.

IMG_20120709_080741.jpg

Back