I need help/suggestions in building an 03' 6.0 for DD and towing

MMAguy

Ok guys, I'm a cummins guy so that's my area of knowledge. i love the powerstroke trucks, i had a 7.3 but as everyone knows, it's very expensive to get any real HP from a 7.3. I have a crew cab 03 6.0 powerstroke that I use for daily driving and towing. Right now it has a chip/exhaust/intake on it. I'm switching the chip, I have no idea what kind it is but it was done in 03 or 04 so there's no way it's as good as the SCT. I will be towing a 12k LB trailer with it. My other truck is an 06' cummins with over 800 hp so I am familiar with all the different parts, I just don't know how to build a 6.0. It needs to stay reliable, I don't want to have ANY issues with it but I want to add as much power as possible for towing. Sometimes I also tow a 16k LB load. I have already added ARP head studs...So gimme some help here guys. I'm not sure what it dyno's at right now but adding another 100hp if I could would be nice...I was thinking about a turbo but wasn't sure which one. I doubt I will need a dual cp3 or anything like that. maybe 50 hp injectors? Gimme some idea;s guys...thanks

Full EGR Delete with Tuning to match.
Coolant Filter.
Good stock injectors
Leak Free Intercooler.
Good Rebuilt stock Tranny if yours is weak.

That should be a good towing rig with a 6.0. The 03 Turbo is generally regarded as the best stock turbo from what I have read and seen.

Ok guys, I'm a cummins guy so that's my area of knowledge. i love the powerstroke trucks, i had a 7.3 but as everyone knows, it's very expensive to get any real HP from a 7.3. I have a crew cab 03 6.0 powerstroke that I use for daily driving and towing. Right now it has a chip/exhaust/intake on it. I'm switching the chip, I have no idea what kind it is but it was done in 03 or 04 so there's no way it's as good as the SCT. I will be towing a 12k LB trailer with it. My other truck is an 06' cummins with over 800 hp so I am familiar with all the different parts, I just don't know how to build a 6.0. It needs to stay reliable, I don't want to have ANY issues with it but I want to add as much power as possible for towing. Sometimes I also tow a 16k LB load. I have already added ARP head studs...So gimme some help here guys. I'm not sure what it dyno's at right now but adding another 100hp if I could would be nice...I was thinking about a turbo but wasn't sure which one. I doubt I will need a dual cp3 or anything like that. maybe 50 hp injectors? Gimme some idea;s guys...thanks

Way off topic obviously LOL , but looking at your screen name do you train somewhere?

And when you did the headstuds, did you have the heads decked?

What kinda money are you looking to spend?

definitly a SCT with custom tunes. stage I injectors(155cc-ish), upgrade fuel system(pump and lines to heads), modded FICM, and modded VGT

Way off topic obviously LOL , but looking at your screen name do you train somewhere?

And when you did the headstuds, did you have the heads decked?

What kinda money are you looking to spend?

Only looking to spend 2-3k for now...I already have the egr delete...The dealership replaced the headstuds under warranty, luckily I knew a guy that worked there and he let me provide them with ARP's for the install...I actually train at a Charles Gracie BJJ school. I started off 9 years ago with a guy that did Machado BJJ and trained under matt thorton and the straight blast gym guys in Oregon. Trained with randy couture, dan henderson, matt Lindland, back when they were all team quest. Back when you get get Randy Couture to come do a weekend seminar for 2k plus expenses. I heard it's 40k now. Some of my best friends are with CCFA, Scott Smith, Uriah Faber, James Irvin, Brandon Vera, Mark Munoz, all good friends of mine. I was training with ken Shamrock;s group when he had his IFL team going...

Back n track, nope, the heads weren't decked...

Headstuds, EGR delete, coolant filter, and leave the rest stock. Maybe an exhaust to give it some tone if you choose...

If you are wanting to make it a towing machine, I would suggest no bigger than 155cc sticks and an upgraded VGT turbo. If you don't want to spend that much, get an SCT with Custom tunes and a tuned FICM. Even though I have studs and all, I still turn my truck back to stock to tow heavy. I don't want to risk a major failure with the increased Cylinder Pressures and a heavy load.

-French

For a good towing setup.

Coolant filter is a really good idea. The sand left over from casting the engine block and heads isn’t a problem on most engines. But the 6.0’s have a oil cooler that has very small passages. The small passages get clogged from the sand. Eventually, they cause the cooler to fail. The filter helps protect agents that.

Our Stage I fuel lines. This will just help provide more fuel to the injectors.

As mentioned above, stock injectors or 155cc injectors will work good. (I wouldn’t go larger if you already have a toy.)

As far as a turbo, the Fords are very different than a Dodge. A 62 is a large as I would go, but if your primary purpose for the truck is towing, keep the stock one on there right now. We have a new turbine housing being case that will help the 6.0’s spool the chargers but a stock turbo with stock or 155cc injectors is a really good combination. If you have 2 to 3k to spend, the charger isn’t where I would recommend spending it.

Tuning, as you mentioned go with an SCT but make sure you get custom tunes. The canned tunes from SCT suck. I recommend going with someone like Eric at Innovative Diesel. Also, no point going with the livewire. It is hard to read, just get the Xcal3.

One big difference between our engines and the Cummins engine is that the 6.0’s don’t like EGT’s above 1200 degrees. So, you may want to look into getting an EGT gauge. Other gauges to think about would be (boost, fuel pressure (life or death for injectors), and high pressure oil)

That is pretty much where I would spend 2-3k.

Impressive list of people you have trained with.

Thanks for the feedback guys. What is a tuned FICM? I've already worked a double shift and it isn't making sense...I appreciate the tip on the coolant filter. How much HP gain is a 155cc injector? How long does it take to swap the injectors? I know on the 7.3L's, you pretty much had to pull the motorI am looking at a modifed stock turbo, same exhaust wheel but a bigger intake turbine? So this is where I am at now,

SCT with customs tunes (need to buy)
EDGE (already on there, being taken off)
3 1/2" down pipe with a straight pipe all the way back (already on there)
coolant filter
AFE stage 2 cold air intake +intake horn (replacing the K+N)

I'm more than likey going with the turbo upgrade...Injectors are up in the air...Any other items that I could add relatively easily that would help out?

Back