I need some input.

90dodge

Always Broke
I've come to the point where I'm looking for another truck for business purposes, and I've got the chance to buy a truck from my cousin.

It is a 2007 6.0 ccsb lariat with full front replacement and 170k. It's a little hard to start but runs like a top when warmed up. Got worse and worse until my brother cleaned the ipr valve and helped it out a lot. I drove the truck a lot a few summers ago when I worked for him, and liked driving it. I'm just scared to own a 6.0 that I will be putting a ton of miles on.

I wanted a duramax or cummins, but i can pick this truck up for 6500. Should I really be scared of it? He has owned it since it came off the lot, and has never had to have any other work done on it. Completely stock and he never cared to drive it hard.

Everything else on the truck is sound except tires being close to needing replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Are you towing alot? Towing heavy loads? With the nearly $1/gallon difference in diesel to gas, have to really need a diesel to make economic sense to own one.

It will almost always have a trailer with utv hooked up to it. I will also be pulling my cummins 150+ miles during the summer and hauling cattle when I'm home. If it wasn't for that, I'd have a smaller ride.

I would check the voltage on the ficm for the hard start. Eliminate that ($485 for a Swamps 48 volt reman) Plan on at the minimum egr delete with oil cooler ($685) and a day if doing the labor yourself. You could get a custom SCT ($449) with stock head bolt tunes just to eliminate the egr code and leave the tuning as stock as possible. Then you are still taking a chance on the head bolts.

Not trying to scare you but just letting you know of some of the costs of a 6.0. I would factor some of those costs into the price. With it being stock and you know the history that adds some value also.

They are not bad just have a bad rep. If you can do the work yourself that will help a lot.

Last edited:
I expected to do a egr delete and maybe gearhead or innovative tunes to try and save gaskets. If there are no signs of problems is replacing the oil cooler really a necessity?

A kit from Rudy s on eBay is a grand right fix all the little crap.
Do an ficm, and injectors and parts, you have 3 grand into it. And don't have any other issues really.. completely worth it imo.. about to do injectors and the kit to my wife's excursion for a better summer next year.

Oh and a scangauge is cheap and nice to have for checking function of oil cooler and ficm

We were checking ipr numbers with a matco gauge. What else do I need to check with it?

If I bought it I was told an edge cts would give me all the readings I needed.

FICM voltage KOEO, cranking and KOER
IPR% warm at idle
Turbo boost test(FORD IDS)
EBP desired VS. actual
EGR test unless your deleting it(FORD IDS)
COLD injector balance test with compensation turned off(FORD IDS)
10 second Relative compression test cold and hot(FORD IDS)
COMPLETE coolant flush including block plugs on BOTH sides of engine(remove starter several times)Those are the main things on these trucks. I can get you all the desired parts MUCH cheaper than you will find them elsewhere.

58V ficm helps mileage, cold start and throttle tip in.

Last edited:
I would just go ahead with the oil cooler. You are right there when doing the egr delete and it doesn't take that much longer. More of a insurance move and it is kind of a pain to remove all the crap again.

FICM voltage. like matty 159 stated. If all are at 48 volts you are good. If not...... a 48 volt is fine in our area it does not get cold enough to justify the 58volt IMO.

sounds like youll be sticking alot of money into that truck that you could have a different truck for same or less money into it

I would agree. If I could find a duramax or cr cummins less for less than 10k that wasn't trashed out.

i wouldnt go the duramax route.....but thats personal opinion. and yah not gonna find a cr for under 10k. and if you do it wont be much. maybe just save up a little more? hard to hear but bought my fair share of good trucks and junk ones. better off spending a lil more now for less down the road.imho

I'm a fan of duramax and cummins but I know that is personal opinion. I agree on the spending a little more down the road. If i could wait I would be buying a much nicer vehicle, but I need a truck now so I can quit putting miles on my sentimental truck, and I don't want it to be a work truck.

I'm going to test everything on it when I'm back home and see what all may be reading bad and decide what it is going to cost me to fix all the glitches.
From there I guess I'll decide if I'll take it. It's hard for me to turn it away since it's such a nice pickup and I know the history on it. Why couldn't have my cousin bought something other than a ford at the time. Lol

I swear I just read a post from 90Dodge in the 6.0L section. I must be dreamin'. I'm going back to bed.

Im back in Wichita if you want me to come and take a look at this pickup if you want? Maybe I can help more in person than over the phone.

Knowing the history on the 6.0 is the key. Do the tests Matty169 suggested and go from there. If you know the history and stay fairly stock they can be reliable. IMO

Back