I swear if I ever find the bastard that worked on my truck I'll kick his ass.

Dave88LX

...OK as if today wasn't bad enough already! (Wife hit a guardrail head-on on the highway somehow, totalled her car it looks like)

Some of you might remember, some of you won't...last year going home on Leave, in Hooks, TX I broke down when my transfer case basically ate itself, I was stuck there 8 days etc. etc. Well I was in the middle of nowhere and was able to limp it to this "trans shop".

Fast forward to ~5 months ago. Backing up onto my lawn and HUGE clunk/snap sound from under the truck. One of the bolts holding the front driveshaft to the transfer case SNAPPED. Turns out it was the LAST bolt holding the driveshaft on, as all the rest had already FALLEN OUT! When it snapped, the driveshaft unloaded right into the transfer case shifter linkage, and that is all bent up now too.

I've been having problems lately with some bad sounding thudding/clanking under the truck. Turns out my carrier bearing is bad, no problem, but the driveline still felt 'loose' so I started shaking stuff. My transfer case MOVES WHERE IT'S ATTACHED TO THE TRANSMISSION! I started looking around and BAM, there is a freaking stud with a nut backed off. There is slight movement right there where the tcase and trans mate. I'm surprised that there is still fluid even in there. (At least there was 2 months ago, I will have to check again LOL). There is not a lot of movement, but ANY is too much where they mate up!

That is 3 things now screwed up because this 'tard didn't know what he was doing (and I was stranded). I swear I want to ring his god durn neck.

Broken bolt I have to extract:
tcase_yoke_broke_bolt.jpg

Linkage that driveshaft slammed into when the bolt snapped, which is now bent.
tcase_broke_linkage.jpg

Gee that's not supposed to be like that! That nut is on the trans side. I'm assuming a couple more are loose.
tcase_loosenut.jpg

This is the seal where I can see movement:
tcase_seal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy ****, your pics are so big they won't load on my 7mb connection.. Resize them a bit... :hehe:

All kiding aside, hope your wife is ok. And sorry to hear about your truck..

They're only 900 pixels wide! :D

I resized them down from 2048.

Wife is doing fine thanks! Just trying to figure out what to get for a new car now.

ya I would check my fluid level and also do a complet inspection of the tail shaft houseing where the tcase bolts up that might have caised some seal damage where the out put shaft meets with the input shaft on the t case or worse cracked the rear houseing just give it a good look over just to be safe

Last edited:
Got them now... OUCH... I'd hate him too..

As for the car, don't get what she wrecked in, that one was obviously too fast for her... :hehe: :hehe: :poke:

Glad she made it out ok, that's what matters...

damn i wish i had know, i went to school in hooks texas. i have a few friends that still live there. and they all have cummins td's. sorry to here about your problems.

cahammer, definitely going to look it over in detail.

How many bolts hold the tcase to the trans rear anyways?

RideMyWideGlide...it was a damn Toyota Echo, I don't think you can get much slower. :lol:

gunracer, yeah we were on I-30 is it that runs through there? Tcase took a dump, and I was able to limp it in 4LO to that shop. Got screwed BIGTIME. They closed down shop shortly after though I guess, otherwise I'd stop through there. :D

i belive there are 8 studs connecting the t-case to the tranny it is best to use a ratchet wrench i belive its a 15mm or a 9/16 good luck on the inspection

6 studs & 9/16th ratchet wrench unless you wanna lower the cross member.

That sucks Dave! The fine young gentleman I bought mine from shouldn't be allowed to own another. "It's not a 53 block" and every single fastener he touch is stripped out. :doh:

brnaodn.

Thanks man! I was gonna say damn, I don't recall seeing 8 under there...it's going to be a long night. :lol: Just so happens I lost my 9/16" ratchet, so I stuck my ratcheting 9/16" in with my regular ones. Sweeeeeet!

Is it open between the tcase and the trans tailshaft? Should/would fluid leak out of there?

There are seals on the trans side and the t-case side. There should be no gasket or sealing material between the two. There is a notch at the bottom of the mating surfaces to act as a drain to the cavity between the two. There should be no fluid leaking from there.

I went through the same thing with my old truck i sold my dad. its a 97 i had the tranny rebuilt about 3 or 4 years ago. he started complaining about a vibration in the 4x4 shifter. I got in it and drove it around the block. Came up to a light and decided to put in in 4x4 the front drive shaft fell out. Cracked the case and bent the linkage. Then when we JB welded the piece of housing back on we realized the transfer case as missing all but 3 bolts to the tranny. I couldnt stop laughting. My dad got really pissed and wanted to know why i told him can u imagine running down the highway at 70 and it comming apart. It would have looked like cheese threw a shredder.

I wish I could say that about the bastard that worked on my truck but then I'd be ringing my own neck. LOL Sorry to hear about your luck but I definitely know the feeling. Glad the wife is ok though.

BgBlDodge said:
I wish I could say that about the bastard that worked on my truck but then I'd be ringing my own neck. LOL Sorry to hear about your luck but I definitely know the feeling. Glad the wife is ok though.
:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: ya good thing i'm smart enough too or i'd be dead with ya BgBlDodge:hehe: :hehe:

6 nuts on studs from tranny to t-case like the other brandon said. ratchet wrench makes life nice and can be had by taking the tranny mount out and letting it hang down instead of removing crossmember. oh and wow, i thought i had leaks LOL

Back