I thought I needed new wheels

oldestof11

Drag racer
I've been searching for new wheels for my first gen. I just didn't want to pay $1200 for wheels and tires. So I went to Autozone to ask the gear head I know that works there if he had a suggestion. He came out and looked at them. We went inside and he showed me the Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. He swore by it and says that's all he bought. So I paid $15 for a tub of this polish and a 3 pack of some towels. I spent 3 hours polishing all 4 wheels and I'm glad I did.

enyrasy8.jpg

ypadena8.jpg

adujabyt.jpg

a5usy8yh.jpg

yte4umuq.jpg

Much better than $600 in wheels!

WTF? No! I want to find out how to take these fake beadlocked screw heads off. My T30 on in my socket set twisted. These are in there hard. This was my other choice:
y7asy7an.jpg

But 4 of them and 4 Toyo Proxes ST2s in 265/70/16 flavor was $1200 shipped to my door, unmounted.

I want old school look. As it was, this had too many holes to clean up.

I almost bought that style for my first gen and ended up going with regular Alcoa/ classic 2 style wheels. I'm regretting it now because it was only like 5 bucks more a rim.

I have 2 sets of these for the puller LOL One in 16" another in 17". I love the wheels and the second set found me, funny how that stuff works. But yes those screws can be a PITA but they do come out and they are a cheaper grade of stainless and can be polished bright again.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 0
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
I have 2 sets of these for the puller LOL One in 16" another in 17". I love the wheels and the second set found me, funny how that stuff works. But yes those screws can be a PITA but they do come out and they are a cheaper grade of stainless and can be polished bright again.

I'll try polishing them. A couple still have a shine but most of them are rusty.

I'll try polishing them. A couple still have a shine but most of them are rusty.

If you know anyone that works at a truck shop that has truck wash chemicals. Use some Aluminum Brightener. Or anything with a good concentration of Hydraflouric Acid. It will actually eat all the oxidation of the surface of the aluminum and turn it a soft white color. And makes polishing anything oxidized or rusty a breeze. Also use it on anything that is rusted, will eat the rust away as well.

If you know anyone that works at a truck shop that has truck wash chemicals. Use some Aluminum Brightener. Or anything with a good concentration of Hydraflouric Acid. It will actually eat all the oxidation of the surface of the aluminum and turn it a soft white color. And makes polishing anything oxidized or rusty a breeze. Also use it on anything that is rusted, will eat the rust away as well.

I've had pretty good luck with Eagle 1 etching mag wheel cleaner. Usually pick it up at Advanced. Just used it to clean my tool box before I buffed it.

Gear head at autozone? That's a first. All the autoparts stores I go to here have people that say uh huh, umm, yeah, let me check, uhhhhh, alright... Lmao.

Give WhiteDiamonds a try next time around.

Yes, we have a few gear heads here at Autozone and Napa. The Napa guys are more truck and Autozone are more cars. Guy at AZ has an 04 GTO manual running 11s, daily driven. Napa guys are driving restored Ford Highboys and square bodied Chevys.

Back