IC VE Pump Swap/Build Times

ComeandTakeIt

I know this can be quite subjective due to a ton of different parameters, but....

My VE pump has been leaking and I want to swap/rebuild the pump. Question is:
1. For those that have pulled these pumps, how long does it take typically?
2. For those that have rebuilt them, how long can that take?

I am DDing the 78' now, so I can't afford to be down for a long time. I am weighing a couple different options. Buy a pump and install, thus taking my time to rebuild what I have and learn on. Or pulling the pump and rebuilding it over a long weekend??? Maybe even renting a car for a day or two...

What's everyone's thoughts on this. I kind've like the idea of having a back-up pump around (but they may be the hoarder in me). I have never pulled the pump or any for that matter, so I am a little apprehensive, just because I haven't done it. So depending on which way I lean and what the feedback is, I may reach out to the Houston crowd to come by and lend a guiding hand.

Boatie

IMHO, if you are apprehensive about just pulling the pump to replace, then you should not be thinking about putting a time frame on rebuilding one. It is not a typical DIY job. Not saying that is can't be a DIY, but it is far from changing injectors in your driveway.

I would find either a good used pump, or buy a reman. It will take a couple of hours to swap them out. Then, learn as much as you can about rebuilding one and tackle it while you can still drive your truck.

I learned a while back to have a back-up car if you do your own wrenching. There is little else worse then that feeling you get at 10 PM Sunday night when your truck is in pieces and you need it to drive to work a few hours.

If this is your first time pulling a pump and/ or rebuilding one i would make sure you have another means of transportation. It may take you more than a weekend to put everything back together! Rebuilding is fun!

IMHO, if you are apprehensive about just pulling the pump to replace, then you should not be thinking about putting a time frame on rebuilding one. It is not a typical DIY job. Not saying that is can't be a DIY, but it is far from changing injectors in your driveway.

I would find either a good used pump, or buy a reman. It will take a couple of hours to swap them out. Then, learn as much as you can about rebuilding one and tackle it while you can still drive your truck.

I learned a while back to have a back-up car if you do your own wrenching. There is little else worse then that feeling you get at 10 PM Sunday night when your truck is in pieces and you need it to drive to work a few hours.

4thesporty,

Agreed. I do my own wrenching. Just haven't pulled a pump before. So the apprehension is solely based on this first time. But damn do I know the feeling of a 10pm Sunday wrench-a-thon. The re-seal.... On the fence how I'm going to hedge my bets.

Boatie

If you pick up another pump try and find a non IC pump. When we swapped out mine we used a non IC bottom half and I gained some fuel. People say they have a bigger delivery valve.

If you pick up another pump try and find a non IC pump. When we swapped out mine we used a non IC bottom half and I gained some fuel. People say they have a bigger delivery valve.

I'm glad you brought that up.... I've had trouble finding a used decent shape IC pump. The non-ic pumps have been seeming more available right now.... Now I'm curious!

Boatie

Curious about what

Just using a non-IC pump on a IC truck. My understanding was that the pumps were the same aside from the delivery valves being longer requiring adjustment to someone's stock IC fuel lines.

But by no means am I an expert.

Boatie

So I have the pump swapped....Let's just say it took a while to say the least. But I am back up and running... Had a few issues I would like to describe:

1. When I first was adjusting the idle, when I put the truck in reverse the system would bog down and stall out???? Seemed to fix itself as the truck warmed up.

2. Truck sounds completely different at idle. In a good way in my opinion. The previous pump had been leaking for a while, so I attribute this new idle sound as no leak (or maybe air) entering the system.

3. The truck seems to have lost line pressure in the tranny or the TV cable adjusted wrong and isn't pulling back to increase the line pressure???? I had a decent firm shift prior, literally can not hear/feel shift now.

4. When i drive the truck or high idle for that matter...I have a pretty decent white haze? The truck with my old pump had a grey haze, no white. White as I've always know is rings burning up.... Should I be concerned?

5. No matter what forward gear I am in the motor sounds like it is in the cab with me now. I can't think of a better way to describe that. Just sounds like it's roids or something. Might try to take a video (but those never seem to do sound justice). Uncomfortably different when driving (can't think of a better way to put it)

A little on the newly installed pump. I bought the pump and it is supposed to have a 4k spring, new 12mm head new seal kist from Bosch. No adjustments to smoke screw, stock fuel pin, and i'll have to verify if any adjustment on the power screw (my assumption is no).

I can not mess with it again until the weekend. I will get some pics and try some videos.

Thanks guys,
Boatie

By your description, you've got the IP set with a little too much static-timing advance.

Loosen the mounting bolts and twist the pump so the top moves away from the engine's head perhaps a 1/4" and try it.

By your description, you've got the IP set with a little too much static-timing advance.

Loosen the mounting bolts and twist the pump so the top moves away from the engine's head perhaps a 1/4" and try it.

10-4 I will do that SOON. When I had the pump at 12 o'clock. I pulled the pump to the head I though maybe a 1/4". I will check that first thing though.

Crack your lines loose at the pump when you do that, makes it easier to move and easier on the lines.

Crack your lines loose at the pump when you do that, makes it easier to move and easier on the lines.

Will do!! Thanks for that info. I finally have a day off tomorrow. I will keep everyone informed. This is my first 1st Gen. And what I have learned so far is that there are not many people local (as I can tell) that know anything about these trucks.

Boatie

Back