ID Extreme Race claims stock turbo!

Maybe the bearing gave out and the compressor wheel contacted the housing and just exploded in the housing.

2578991920083164471YQGbYu_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dang

I cant tell exactly from the photo but it looks like to me that the housing is cracked on the stock turbo. If I had a better picture of more views it would help. But from what I gather using common sense is: The turbo show no signs of heat damage in areas of cracks and the break is at what appears to be where a bolt goes that either mounts the turbo or couples it (never taken a turbo apart before or held one in my hand). If something breaks like that around the area where a bolt goes (the bosses where the bolt goes really give it away that this is a structural point for that piece) then that to me indicates that there was some kind of pressure involved that the turbo was not engineered to handle. the area of the break around the bolt (a attachment point for something) indicates that something wanted to shift, but something was too solid, and the aluminum turbo housing was the least solid and broken as a result. I can see the intake of the turbo is plastic so I am willing to bet that the exhaust was mounted too solid. it probably didn't have a ball type coupler or flex pipe to allow the solid mounted exhaust to move free from engine.
I have experience helping a guy fix his problems like that in his ford ranger with a mustang engine swap. The guy did the engine swap and mounted the exhaust solid as a rock then he would have to reweld the advanced adapters headers every 1 or 2 months. He blammed the headers cuz they were made of cheap exahust tubing but his problem was the metal next to where he would weld would break away because the motor wanted to torque to the right in the motor mounts but the exhaust wouldn't let it so the truck kept breaking the header.
If you can picture this story then you can get the idea that the turbo in the picture probably suffered from the same thing and is a very costly mistake for the owner of the turbo charged engine in the pic as he could have shot aluminum shavings in the engine when the still spining compressor wheel scrapped aluminum, he lost oil pressure as you can see but he could have blown up engine as a result of no oil.

Probably not the Race program that claimed the turbo, but a failure none the less. I'm sure the boost on the truck was stock or less than stock. We don't go much beyond stock boost levels, normally a little less.

Yeah, you can see the post on TDG. A bunch of crybabies thought I was slammin you guys and that is not the case at all.

Interesting you keep stock boost levels too. Good to know.

I'm wondering if the vanes could have stuck and caused an overboost/overspeed of the compressor wheel causing it to contact the compressor housing and defragment?

GREGROB said:
Yeah, you can see the post on TDG. A bunch of crybabies thought I was slammin you guys and that is not the case at all.

Interesting you keep stock boost levels too. Good to know.

I'm wondering if the vanes could have stuck and caused an overboost/overspeed of the compressor wheel causing it to contact the compressor housing and defragment?

No problem.

Sticky vanes are a common problem, hence the latest reflash from Ford that cycles the turbo. It's a complex electro-mechanical setup, there's bound to be a failure here and there.

Also if it was from a 05` or early 06 with the ****ty ass shaft when they blow apart that can happen....

Back