idi turbo kits

darmaley94

Hey guys. Ive seen a few 7.3 idi's with turbo kits. Some from banks some from ats and some from hypermax. I went on the ats website and ats doesnt offer turbo kits for these trucks anymore. So which is better banks or hypermax? Or is it just personal preferance?

They all suck...but deffinatly better than NA, the wastegated banks and ats kits are probably most popular. Check eBay or Craigslist

Only good for about 200-220hp and 420-450tq (at wheels) they are just small. Like I said tho, MUCH better than stock at 130-150hp and 260-290tq. (at wheels)

We had a banks setup on a 6.9 years ago (20 or so), it seemed to run well. A buddy of mine has the ATS kit on a 6.9 and he swears that it runs better than his 95 psd, but it bends pushrods at 14+ lbs of boost lol.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Would a hypermax turbo system be good? One thing i noticed is with it you can add an intercooler. Or would you guys recommend banks?

I doubt that intercooling would make a huge difference at the boost levels you'd see. I could be wrong though.

Pressure at the intake would be reduced but the boost would be cooler/ more effective..and 15psi at the intake is considered the "danger zone" and 12 is considers it's highest before becoming "out of efficiency range" on my dyno run on my stock system I pushed 19psi and nothing crazy happened

You haven't had any head gasket issues? My understanding was that 12 ish psi was about the limit for an idi.

So to me banks would be better from what you guys are saying. If you pushed more than 12 psi of boost would it be recommended to get head studs? Do they even make head studs for a 7.3 idi?

Yes, I'll get u the arp part numbers if you really want. But you should be fine up to 15, all the kits can be found on eBay, Craigslist, or junk yards

pt#s for:

studs AR7.00-LB

nuts ARN2-1

washers ARW78N

supposedly there are 2 different sets you can get...different materials (?)

but it bends pushrods at 14+ lbs of boost lol.

First time I've ever heard of that.

My understanding was that 12 ish psi was about the limit for an idi.

Perhaps a bone stock, never regasketed, head bolted IDI.

My IDI runs 35psi on a daily basis, and several others have been or are currently in the 20-25psi range.

pt#s for:

studs AR7.00-LB

nuts ARN2-1

washers ARW78N

supposedly there are 2 different sets you can get...different materials (?)

Those are individual fasteners, rated for 150/160kpsi. The actual "kit" is ARP 2000 material rated @ 200/220kpsi

First time I've ever heard of that.

Maybe there's something else going on then. Its pretty consistent, 14 psi on an extended pull = bent pushrods. We turned the fuel back a bit and it doesn't do it anymore.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Maybe there's something else going on then. Its pretty consistent, 14 psi on an extended pull = bent pushrods. We turned the fuel back a bit and it doesn't do it anymore.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Likely another issue. I have never heard of this, and I have personally put about 20,000 miles on IDI's towing in 20+psi boosted engines.

I'd like to see a pic of the bent pushrod to try and take a stab at the cause.

NMB2, what turbo are you running and what else have you done to push enough fuel to make 25 psi?

Currently I have a bw 62/65/.80.

I'm about to put on a bw 63/68/.91

I have a 150cc db4...max boost on fuel is 30psi currently.

Sent using Jedi mind tricks

Back