Idle Spring Shims

relay93

Ok. For those of you who have installed different gov springs, how many of you understood that you are to leave the idle springs shims in place?
How many of you removed all shims including the idle springs? Are the idle shims used to keep the idle spring from wearing on the back of the barrel?

I installed a PacBrake 4k spring kit and instructions said to remove all shims but leave the idle spring but for me it was to remove the idle spring to get the other pieces out and for the install of the the new springs and seat.

Do I have anything to worry about by not having the idle shims installed?

Thanks for all info.

Roger

Since this thread has very little attention I went ahead and installed the idle spring shims back on the governor. Now I guess I can say that I have piece of mind that It is now done correctly even though PacBrake said it would help idle but I seen no change.

I had a shop that supposedly knew what they were doing and he threw everything in the trash and installed just the GSK and now the Idle if set at 750 will lope in gear anf if you set it at 850 it will runaway to 1500 on its own when put into park/neutral. I say leave them in. Oh that pump is going to the injection shop tomorrow to get it fixed.

My truck Idled great @ 750 to 800 and would drop a little with air turned on.
I adjusted the idle up to around 850 with the air on turn the air off it would go around the 1000 maybe a little higher. Reason I adjusted was because of the starter acted like it was dragging but I could give a little throttle and she would bust over with the bump of the key like it use to do. I did put the springs back in set the idle to 900 with out it jumping up and starting is a little easier.

Slide the AFC forward about a scooch and it will bump right over without touching the go pedal.

Sounds as though you figured it out. I ran into the same situation when I installed my 4GSK. I had to put my idle spring shims back in. I could not get it to start without pedal, would not idle and pedal was way to touchy. With the idle springs back in, it started right up without pedal, idled at 900 RPMS and a driver friendly pedal. In my experience, leave the idle spring shims in place.

Back