If a woodchuck could "chuck" aluminum...

PSDPlayer

Captain Negativity!
So I found a rusted old rotary table. And then found a rusted el cheapo 3 jaw chuck. Had my buddy fire up the cnc lathe and make an aluminum plug to center one on the other. Then grabbed a custom carbide ball mill, because it was the only thing long enough that wasn't in the cnc mill. Mounted up a 6.4L piston and went to town on the back side. I went a little nuts with the plunge and put a little hole through it. Oh well they are only 100 bucks each. But judging from the ammount of material I could theoretically remove. They will be 20% lighter and will weigh less than the current 6.0L piston.

picture.php

The 6.4L piston has an oil passage all the way around the inside of the top of the piston. The oil jet in the block is aimed at it and it has a port on the other side for the oil to come out of. What is interesting is that if one piston is clogged, that one will weigh more than the others....

Can a 6.4 piston be used in a 6.0? I assume it has a slightly larger diameter, so you would have to bore out the block and maching the heads.

I think the bore needs to be elarged like .171. Give or take.

So your reasoning for using them is lighter weight and bigger Bore?

The 6.4L piston has an oil passage all the way around the inside of the top of the piston. The oil jet in the block is aimed at it and it has a port on the other side for the oil to come out of. What is interesting is that if one piston is clogged, that one will weigh more than the others....

But that little bit isn't going to make a big a enough difference for the weight to matter.

But that little bit isn't going to make a big a enough difference for the weight to matter.

20% is still 20%. And if its lighter than the stock 6.0L piston then its going to pull more weight from the crank.

"What is interesting is that if one piston is clogged, that one will weigh more than the others...."

Thats what I was replying to. Sorry I didnt make it clear.

What a lot of people don’t realize is that regardless if it works or not, we all benefit. There are those that are currently taking the path less traveled trying to raise the level of power, performance, reliability, etc of our Power Strokes. Regardless if they work or fail, we are all better for it. Especially, those that are wiling to share their endeavors with everyone. We know now, that won’t work and we can try something else. Or better yet, hey that worked fantastic and Doug say huge benefits!!!

I applaud Doug and those working on stuff that don’t want to make it public yet, for their efforts in advancing our Power Strokes. There will be a major step forward this year. The question is how many steps are we going to take?

"What is interesting is that if one piston is clogged, that one will weigh more than the others...."

Thats what I was replying to. Sorry I didnt make it clear.

Perhaps it is a little extreme, but ever had a vibration at a certain RPM? That is caused from something being out of balance.

When we are balancing our rotating assemblies down to the gram, a clogged piston could make quite a difference. Not nearly as much as one turning 10,000 rpms, but still a vibration.

Keep in the back of your mind 6.4L motors with shattered pistons at ~40k miles. Whats killing the stock engines?

Back