if running 1 big or twins (1 per 3 cyl) on the 5.9l, for good driving how big can they/it be and how much HP

Sedgehammer

I had posted the 5.9L thread about 1,000 HP that my son was wanting to build. Now he has changed his 'ask' some what when I've telling him about all the requirements to get there and what room we have in the defender. The 5.9l will prolly work, but probably with only 1 turbo or 2 smaller ones (1 on 3 cylinders) and since 1 turbo or 2 smaller ones, it needs to be a streetable HP range that one can drive for groceries or embarrass high hp sports cars. What size turbos, nozzles etc and how much HP for a more drivable 5.9l?

thanks

There was a thread about this years ago. It's not really worth it. Just keep the secondary reasonable for intended response without being a restriction and size the primary for the HP goal. What injection pump P7100, VP44, CP3 although I have a feeling this is a 2nd Gen. Quite a few ways to skin this pig although there are some better options than others.

There was a thread about this years ago. It's not really worth it. Just keep the secondary reasonable for intended response without being a restriction and size the primary for the HP goal. What injection pump P7100, VP44, CP3 although I have a feeling this is a 2nd Gen. Quite a few ways to skin this pig although there are some better options than others.
Our issue will be room. I think there will be room for 2 smaller ones vs compounds

It's been tried before, doesn't work. True "twins" that is. The restrictive cummins head needs pressure to cram air in.

Compounds are the only way to go, especially on a 5.9.

It's been tried before, doesn't work. True "twins" that is. The restrictive cummins head needs pressure to cram air in.

Compounds are the only way to go, especially on a 5.9.
What about if one has a side draft head?

All been tried before.

You won't find an example of anyone running true twins on a realistic cummins app.

The extra volume is killed by the restrictive cylinder head, no matter what you do with it.

Now don't get me.wrong, some exotic cummins with a billet head, and making power at 5k rpms, may be possible.
But your not gonna reinvent the wheel with a modified 5.9.

And also yes a big single will meet your power goals, but will be a turd on the street. Compounds only realistic way to go for your goals.

All been tried before.

You won't find an example of anyone running true twins on a realistic cummins app.

The extra volume is killed by the restrictive cylinder head, no matter what you do with it.

Now don't get me.wrong, some exotic cummins with a billet head, and making power at 5k rpms, may be possible.
But your not gonna reinvent the wheel with a modified 5.9.

And also yes a big single will meet your power goals, but will be a turd on the street. Compounds only realistic way to go for your goals.
I'm going to take my ball and go home .....😫

I'm going to take my ball and go home .....😫
Don't get disappointed so easy.....just don't try to run some exotic turbo setup like that. There is a hundred ways to get to 1000hp but that goal for a street truck seems kinda high. Four digits sounds good around the campfire but even 700hp is a lot to drive around. It's very attainable with bolt-on parts and a decent tune.

Back