If you could start with either.... (2wd or 4wd)

ACFarmer

On to the next project
Ok my 03 is getting really close to being a dedicated puller but I went to the drags one time here this fall with it and it got me hooked, but being a 6 speed its no where near fast enough for me:evil. My question is, I'm building a 1st gen dodge with a p-pumped motor and I have 2 options... I have a 91 w-250 chassis I can build it on or I have a mid to late 80's half ton 2 wheel drive frame I can build off of. What do you guys think? I'm no drag racer by any means but I'm trying to get into it a little bit now. I mean 2wd equals less weight but 4x4 means better launchs? School me oh great ones...:bow:

I am by no means one of the great ones. But one thing i do know is that when it comes to 4wd vs. 2wd you will never get a straight answer. Some guys think 2wd is better because of the weight savings and some guys think that 4wd is the only way to go for the traction.
I myself if im building a dedicated race truck im going 2wd and working on suspension tuning to get my traction that i need. There are plenty of trucks coming down the pipeline that are 2wd and the ones that are out are doing well. It really comes down to what you think will work better for you. and what you feel you can build properly.
myself i would use the 1/2 ton frame box it in and go have fun tuning the suspension. Good luck and im sure that you will get a bunch more opinions.

Ok my 03 is getting really close to being a dedicated puller but I went to the drags one time here this fall with it and it got me hooked, but being a 6 speed its no where near fast enough for me:evil. My question is, I'm building a 1st gen dodge with a p-pumped motor and I have 2 options... I have a 91 w-250 chassis I can build it on or I have a mid to late 80's half ton 2 wheel drive frame I can build off of. What do you guys think? I'm no drag racer by any means but I'm trying to get into it a little bit now. I mean 2wd equals less weight but 4x4 means better launchs? School me oh great ones...:bow:

My 1/2 ton is 2wd with a 4 link...with a good suspension setup, 2wd is simpler, lighter, but maybe a little less forgiving when you lose traction??

How fast you wanna go??
Chris

I think that I would go with a 4x4... just for the reason that Chris just hit on.. it is more forgiving.. Even when I do lose traction, (which is happening on a much more frequent basis now) I am still in complete control

I see benefits with both. You can get really good 1/8 miles outta a 4wd but a 2wd will win out by the end of the 1/4(equal setups). I remember people weren't thinking my truck would launch well but a 1.77 60ft with minimal suspension mods is impressive to me. My opinion is a +700hp diesel is more fun street and strip 2wd(weather permiting). As far as the truck gettin loose, a 2wd will spin out from under ya quicker but I feel when a +700hp 4wd truck breaks all 4 loose it can turn into more of a handful. I'd rather spin out a 2wd at 100mph then a 4wd. But like someone else said, everyone will have a different opinion.

I have wanted to do a 4x2 forever, If Do build a race truck it will be 4x4. Like said above it can keep you out of trouble if something happens.

If I had a ton of money I'd go with a lightweight 4x4....and I mean Fab 9 inch front and rear, aluminum centersections, etc. otherwise, I'd go with a 2wd. 2wd First Gens will be really light, I'd say you could get one down to 4500 with driver easy. That's a big plus because removing weight has almost the exact same effect as adding horsepower, plus it's easier on the drivetrain.

I kind of figure that... Just went out on a limb. :)

Don't get me wrong, they do work on the street great! They just don't last long lol. With my 24's, low boost it will hook up by 2nd. That is on the street without nitrous.

don't forget that if you don't wanna spend a crapload money every week you should prob go with a 2wd... seems like the quick 4x4 guys go through converters pretty much every 4-5 passes lol

look at all the fast trucks some 4x4s and some 4x2s then look at the ones that win most are 4x2s not all of them but most of them. i look at it this way what helps you at the start hurts you at the end. go with your 4x2.$.02

don't forget that if you don't wanna spend a crapload money every week you should prob go with a 2wd... seems like the quick 4x4 guys go through converters pretty much every 4-5 passes lol

That's mostly because of the weight IMHO, they have to make quite a bit more power to run the same times because they are 600-1000lbs heavier than some of the 2wd rides. The lockup clutches just can't handle the power and weight!

Either of those old body style trucks aren't nearly as heavy as the newer ones, and Derek will probably put either one on a diet, so as long as he's not going for 9's right out the gate, his tranny should hold a while;)

Again, just IMHO...I'll find out when I get my 2wd running;)
Chris

thanks for all the replys guys! I'm not shooting for 9's out of the gate no.. And I'm not saying this will be a track only truck either.. I want a truck that I can take to the track.. run in the 13's to start out with and then drive on the street also... Of course I'm sure once I start out with this I'll be wanting 12's... then 11's.... and then 10's.... lol I can go either way with this truck as I have all the parts to go either way but I am still undecided. Sounds like 2wd will be more of a challenge to tune in and run.. and I always like a challenge but I dont want to be spending a ton of money on it right away either to get it to hook up.. so I dont know. Keep the opinions coming and help me make up my mind!!

I 4wd would be the easiest to just drive to the track and hook up, but a well built 2wd that is lighter and faster would be fun too! hell of a little street truck!

an all around truck that could once be a puller or whatever the 4wd is the way to go, but like said before they are alot harder on parts!

It's a hard decision really... I want to build a short bed single cab 2wd just to drive and go have fun at the track! but I think i would cut down a 3/4 rather than a 1/2 ton because of stronger frame and rearend suspension etc... an then later on do the necessary to remove the weight

All I have is caltracs in the back. For the $800 they cost it really isn't that bad. There is no need for 4 link if you are staying above 10 seconds. The price of tires add up doing burnouts every pass though lol. Where I know of a 10 second 4wd that has been running the same tires for 2 years(same tires as I run) Personally I feel 2wd are way more fun. They both have + and - just gotta pick which poison ya wanna play with. I for one would love to see more 2wd diesels in all brands. And if it's gonna be a street demon you'll fall in love with the 2wd. It's the closest you'll get to a sports car with a diesel pickup:)

thanks for all the replys guys! I'm not shooting for 9's out of the gate no.. And I'm not saying this will be a track only truck either.. I want a truck that I can take to the track.. run in the 13's to start out with and then drive on the street also... Of course I'm sure once I start out with this I'll be wanting 12's... then 11's.... and then 10's.... lol I can go either way with this truck as I have all the parts to go either way but I am still undecided. Sounds like 2wd will be more of a challenge to tune in and run.. and I always like a challenge but I dont want to be spending a ton of money on it right away either to get it to hook up.. so I dont know. Keep the opinions coming and help me make up my mind!!

If you do decide to do the 2wd, I have a backhalf frame section with a ladder bar/coilover setup with a Ford 9" I'd part with real reasonable for you Derek ;)

Would make it launch pretty good, but the couple chassis guys I talked to told me not to use it for my truck, but my goal is 9's eventually, maybe more.

I also have a guy that loves to put cages in trucks :D
Chris

hhmm.. I'm starting to lean towards 2wd I do believe... Now another question though... will that half ton frame hold up? I doubt this actual truck will ever be in the 10's or anything like that, more of a fun to drive truck I can take to the strip and do well with. Or I guess I could take the 3/4 frame and make it a 2wd? but again theres more weight there also.

Back