Ifs questions

Just picked up a 97 chevy 6'5 truck gonna put my cummins motor in just curious to the strength of the older ifs vs the 01and up or if there are any differences ive never personally messed with the older style
Thanks joe

I'm 95% sure the ring gear is smaller than the GMT-800 trucks with duramax. I'm thinking it's the same as the GMT-800 gas trucks though. 9.5" vs 10.5" IIRC.

I wanna say the half shafts/cv shafts are interchangeable? IDK if newer ones are larger though. On the newer ones, GM ones last longer than the ones at Advanced Auto & the likes.

You'd still need tie rod sleeves (idk if newer ones fit older trucks or not) & centerlink bracing.

Hopefully someone more knowledge can verify or correct what I've said. It's been a while since I compared them.

Last edited:
I'm 95% sure the ring gear is smaller than the GMT-800 trucks with duramax. I'm thinking it's the same as the GMT-800 gas trucks though. 9.5" vs 10.5" IIRC.

I wanna say the half shafts/cv shafts are interchangeable? IDK if newer ones are larger though. On the newer ones, GM ones last longer than the ones at Advanced Auto & the likes.

You'd still need tie rod sleeves (idk if newer ones fit older trucks or not) & centerlink bracing.

Hopefully someone more knowledge can verify or correct what I've said. It's been a while since I compared them.

2010 and down use the same 9.25" ring gear all the way down for the 3/4 ton trucks( at least the 8 lug ones anyhow). As for tie rod sleeves and bracing, the 88-98 trucks tie rods were a totally different design and if memory serves me they were about twice as big around as what the 99-10 GMs have.

Hmmm interesting Im fond of the way the duramaxs with ifs hook around here and would like to atleast try the ifs before I go straight axle with it

Hmmm interesting Im fond of the way the duramaxs with ifs hook around here and would like to atleast try the ifs before I go straight axle with it

For pulling and drag racing the IFS is plenty strong with a few mods. A Dana 60 is pretty stout, but the fact remains that they are not bulletproof with a few goodies as well. The only thing i can say is that the aluminum housings are less forgiving in the event of a bearing failure, twisted pinion ETC. If you are the kind of guy who keeps up on your rig that shouldn't be an issue. To be fair i have seen a Dana 50 spit half the pinion through the top of he housing, so solid axles aren't exempt from ruining housings either.

What chassis configuration is this truck? Mine was a cclb even with the frame boxed I thought the first pull it was going to fold in half. We went back and sub-framed the truck. We'll pull again next weekend I'll let you know how it turns out. Also if your going to do a weight box/rack you need to look at bracing frame horns up. They're weak as chit!

It's an ex cab long bed truck and your a
bsolutely right the frame material its sell looks pretty thin compared to newer trucks or dodges I really like the look of your truck thats what got me really interested in a chevy chassis ill be anxious to see how yours works with the sub frame

For pulling and drag racing the IFS is plenty strong with a few mods. A Dana 60 is pretty stout, but the fact remains that they are not bulletproof with a few goodies as well. The only thing i can say is that the aluminum housings are less forgiving in the event of a bearing failure, twisted pinion ETC. If you are the kind of guy who keeps up on your rig that shouldn't be an issue. To be fair i have seen a Dana 50 spit half the pinion through the top of he housing, so solid axles aren't exempt from ruining housings either.

I agree in my fathers gas truck we went threw alot of spindles when the outer shafts would break and ive heard horror stories of housing getting trashed from pinions breaking and tearing up the pinion snout :bang

What kind of horsepower are you making that your worried about sub framing this thing?

i just bought a 95 ec/lb k2500 with a 5spd nv4500 in it, im gonna toss a dmax in mine for a farm truck and pulling stock class. i am curious as well if the older ifs will handle the abuse like my 01 puller did b4 i put the dana 60 in it.

i just bought a 95 ec/lb k2500 with a 5spd nv4500 in it, im gonna toss a dmax in mine for a farm truck and pulling stock class. i am curious as well if the older ifs will handle the abuse like my 01 puller did b4 i put the dana 60 in it.

Only difference between the front axle themselves in the bolt on passenger side axle housing. One has a flat mounting plate and the other is angled, swap them and they can be used in either truck...

I have done this. We pulled a diff from a early 90's 1 ton truck and put it in a 2003 2500 with a Duramax so we didn't have to regear the front diff...

the frame I used on my truck was a 98 and the wall thickness was way thicker than the pre-96 trucks. The rear fame section on mine was 5/16" + thick and the front section was about twice the thickness of the original 89 (CK style) reg-cab 1ton dually I started with.

the frame I used on my truck was a 98 and the wall thickness was way thicker than the pre-96 trucks. The rear fame section on mine was 5/16" + thick and the front section was about twice the thickness of the original 89 (CK style) reg-cab 1ton dually I started with.

i hope i shouldn't bend the frame in stock class, haha

Back