II SPS66 vs II Silver 66

ramctd

AKA RamWheelsBy4
Anybody ran both of II's SPS66 and Silver66 turbo's on the same configuration and has any insight on how they compare??

I went from a sps66 with a third gen exhaust manifold to a silver 66 with a second gen manifold. Really the only difference I noticed is the silver cools stuff down faster and doesn’t get as hot under WOT conditions. Spools just the same from 1-10 psi and spools much faster once its get to 10 all the way up to 58-60 psi. If it were me id go silver all the way.

Well I guess it doesn't matter I told Michael to order me a Silver 66 (OUCH!). My SPS66 blew the bearings it seems this morning on the way to work. :doh:

Just had the intake off Sunday and noticed some side to side play, but its been like that for a while. It lasted 4 years, 80,000 miles, 500-600 hard tracks runs at 55psi (set the wastegate to 55psi after the first track run) and a few hard hits on the street over the years. The first two and a half years of those runs where at pretty high EGTs. :bang

It blew the boot off the hot side of the intercooler, oil dripping/spraying all over out of the tube. Not sure how much oil is in the intercooler, but its got to be cleaned out.

Pulled the intake and no damage to the fins, spins just like it did Sunday, oil is only on the compression side, same play so I guess it was time. It could have been worse. Sunday we pulled the tubing to weld in the bungs for the dual stage NX nozzles, just didn't have time to finish all the wiring. Was gonna finish that tonight. I guess the turbo saw what was coming and just gave up. LOL LOL

its normal for oil to bypass on the compressor side when you blow a boot off under load. If you dont have excessive play your turbo is most likely fine.
Jim

its normal for oil to bypass on the compressor side when you blow a boot off under load. If you dont have excessive play your turbo is most likely fine.
Jim

How much oil? There was oil puddled in many places and sprayed all over. I did drive it a few miles limping along. Tube was coated completely inside when I got to the house it dripped three good puddles on the ground.

oh, ok. Some is normal. but what you have sounds pretty excessive. It happened to me once and I thought I popped the charger. asked my buddy about it and same happened to him. bolted mine back together and was fine. sounds like yours may need to seek professional help :doh:

oh, ok. Some is normal. but what you have sounds pretty excessive. It happened to me once and I thought I popped the charger. asked my buddy about it and same happened to him. bolted mine back together and was fine. sounds like yours may need to seek professional help :doh:

At this point I don't trust it. So good excuse to upgrade, just kinda a bad time with three weekends in a row of races to go to and someone just won't get paid this Friday. There are priorities:hehe:

Maybe see if it can be rebuilt and the sell it to recoup some of the money.

Apples and oranges in trucks. But my silver spooled quicker and seemed to cool better on my 12v then the sps66.

my silverbullet was rebuilt by majestic turbo of waco tx for around 800 i think and as some of you have seen its doing quite well lol

John, I might have someone that'll rebuild it way cheaper than any of the vendors

sell out!!!

jk, just mad i dont have a shot at that 200 bucks first friday!

Forrest I'll let you know when we get it off, probably be a while. Michael has got lot of other things in line first. I don't know if I can get it off this weekend or not. Truck is in the driveway now, got to figure out how to get it down south. Afraid to drive it with that much oil spraying into the intake. Might get into a runaway and really have problems.

I was happy with the SPS66, it did just what I wanted for a long time. I finally did experience surging with a HEAVY load, but once in 4 years is ok. After I put in the Flux 2s it spooled very easy as far as I was concerned.

Scott, just trying to keep up with the BUSes. :nos: :nos:

Y'all gettin tooo close to the 11s, I gotta stay competitive. Two dmaxes knocked me out of the money this month. I just can't let that happen again. LOL

Sure screwed up my plans for the next three weekends and will strain my finances even more. But I have been lucky for a long time. Not really broke much considering how much it has been on the track.

Back