I'm at a loss

neilden

ready to kick some ass
My 99 24 valve with hot rod pump is giving me a headache. I installed a set of bd twins this week and after a short test drive went to lunch. After lunch the truck started up like normal with no problems. Went to leave and the truck died in the middle of the road. Fired right back up and started to cross the street and it died again and didn't want to restart. Got it towed to the shop and it didn't want to start again. Finally got it to start after a lot of cranking. Had good clean fuel to the injectors with no air. Finally got two codes p30 and p1690. Changed the crank sensor and it fired up after about 15 sec. Of cranking. Idled fine with no issues. Left and headed home and the truck studered twice and attempted to diesel down while driving back. Noticed before I left the shop that the scanner was showing the fuel shutoff solenoid was turning on for a split second at random. Got home and swapped the relay under the hood with the horn relay. Then attempted to start the truck again with it not wanting to start again. Now to this morning hook the scanner up to it again and the codes from before are not pressent. Only code pressent is in the transmission for open or shorted p1765 and p1690 mil fault in companion module. Truck will now start just fine sometimes and idle and rev like normal and then just die for no apparent reason. Then after dying it will be bear to start again.
Hot Rod pump is 1.5-2 months old with a fass titanium 150 feeding it from day one.
I'm stumped guys any ideas appreciated!

Neilden

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Already? With 10 psi to 15 psi it's entire life?

Sounds like the circuit board no so much the pump. The electronic board freaks out and does some crazy things.

New industrial hot rod pump from them

Don't the SO pumps have less hp?

Hotrod pumps are the timing advance of the HO pump with the larger plungers of the SO pump, by my understanding. SO pumps are much more reliable in the long run & for the price difference, you can get a great tuner & get more power & adjustability. Hotrod pumps are about equal to an SO pump with an Edge EZ/Diablo powerpuck. For the price difference, you can get an edge Comp. You will also see many threads about their failures.
For fuel pressure, you want 14PSI MINIMUM, even at WOT, as that is the pressure that the relief valve cracks open & allows for better cooling of the pump/computer.

Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the 14 psi never heard that

Already? With 10 psi to 15 psi it's entire life?

Have you tapped the VP already? 9 times out 10 if a VP is going to fail after the reman process, its going to do it in the first 6 weeks. When we sell a VP and the customer asks about tapping it, I tell them wait at least 6 weeks or so and it should be fine. This is the second Hot Rod pump from them I've seen burn up in less than 6 weeks from a fried PCH.

Have you checked the plug on the PCH ? Isn't the P1690 a Communication Error? I've seen a couple cases where the plug has actually wiggled loose.

Ya pulled all plugs and clean and reinstalled with no change

Pump is on its way back to industrial. Let see what they have to say.

Adam was the last one I talked to but I've talked to a few of the guys in the pump shop with this issue.

Well it was the cam position sensor in the pump that went bad.

Back