I'm can't make up my mind, anybody want to do it for me?

cashwheel

bolt on warrior
Alright, I've got just about everything I need to put my twins together. I'm running a 62/65/12 right now and have a K31 from a buddy ready to go on. But for a little more money should I go with a 75mm 1.32AR S400? The S400 will make the install easier because Source Automotive sells a hotpipe and mount, so it will cut down on my fab work, but I just can't make up my mind. Truck is a tow rig/daily driver/dyno fun...etc, you get the idea. Will be putting in 90 horse stix, and valve train from Zach when I do it. Will the maps overlap better with on than the other? I'm not super smart on turbo's so I figured I would let you guys steer me, and argue amongst yourselves.:Cheer:

According to RonA the only difference between the install of a K31 and an S400 is the downpipe is 1.5" more rearward on the K31.

So everything should fit just fine on the install, from one to the other.

I think a 62/65/12 and K31 would be an awesome street setup. And tow like a MOFO! lol

Thanks man, thats pretty much what my original thought was about it towing well I would have to build the downpipe to fit from what I can gather, just cut an inch and a half out and reweld. The exhaust housing on the K31 is freaking long. What about performance differences, would I outgrow the K31 quickly?

You need to ask yourself how much power you want to end up with and go from there. Too much charger and you live with lag and have a narrow powerband. Too small and it runs out of steam early.

And you even bought your 400 from where I was going to if I decide to go that route. My problem is I cant decide what I want from my truck, I flop back and forth:doh:

I'm leaning towards the S400, If it is to laggy then I can sell it and put the K31 on, I don't think its going anywhere.

The reason why I went S475 is because it is used in just about all the twin kits that are sold. I talked with rip at sourc auto. and he said he hasnt had any complaints about being to laggy for towing.

I mean, Its up to you. You have th K31, so I would use it and see how you like it. You could also sell it on here and probably come close to buying the S475.

Run the k-31 it's good to 600 on a CR. On a 12V that'd be a whole different story! If for some reason you don't like it buy a s-400 push your exhaust back and bolt it up, if you like it more THEN sell the k-31. JMO

And you even bought your 400 from where I was going to if I decide to go that route. My problem is I cant decide what I want from my truck, I flop back and forth:doh:

I'm leaning towards the S400, If it is to laggy then I can sell it and put the K31 on, I don't think its going anywhere.

Go with a 75/83/1.1 s400. I made over 700 with that primary and it spooled quite a bit better than the 96mm turbine/1.3 housing S400 that most people use.
Here's a dyno sheet with that charger. Great daily driver.

Attachments

• dyno 001.jpg
    dyno 001.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the help guys, I was all set to just go ahead with the K31 until I saw what the guys at fleece had been up to. Now I'm thinking again, I know I'm an idiot:doh:

i called industrial injection about the post i put on and the k 31 is alot smaller than i thought it was going to b i guess i should of done some more reserch be for i bought mine but there twin setup with the phat shaft 62 isnt there standard phat shaft 62 they put a different exaust housing on it to make it spool better so if your thinking of a normal 62 on a k31 this might not be the best idea from what im hearing if you have the fuel go with the bigger setup and dont look back j/m/o from what im hearing

Correct Jeff, I'm running a 62 now, and the 62 over K31 is II towing setup, so I couldn't be horrible I would think.

If this is going on your 6-speed, I wouldnt hesitate Going with your larger choice. My turbo's are a little bit larger and it is effort less to tow. Even heavy. I'd go with the S475 and not look back.

Back