I'm new here...

KRF

Hello, I'm Ken. I own a 2008 Ford F250 with a 6.4L diesel. I love the truck. I don't care what people say about Ford's not being reliable, I disagree! The truck runs great and looks great. With almost 235,000 miles on it, I think it looks like new.

But I do have some questions.
1. Why does Ford build a truck such that the engine has to be removed to replace a silly oil pan gasket! What?? That seems ridiculous to me! Can't they redesign the chassis in the area of the oil pan to accommodate removal of the oil pan?? Seems like a simple problem to correct.

2. Why do certain repairs require cab removal? Why not make the engine compartment a little bigger?

I realize these questions do not specifically pertain to diesel engines. But I'm sure some of you guys out there have had some of these same questions and would be interested in what responses we get. I do know that with every new gadget that is applied to the engine, be it for a new emissions control issue, or fuel economy or whatever, it means there is that much less room for everything else. It becomes a trade-off and some things just have to suffer to accommodate the changes and upgrades that come along.

Anyway, I'm glad to be aboard and looking forward to learning all kinds of good stuff about my diesel engine!

My Opinions:

The primary design concerns are assembly time and warranty there after. If the oil pan leaks well after warranty, it's an after thought. Even so, if failure rates are high, it might be taken in to consideration that future models need easier access, but there will always be that arrogance (or ignorance) that XX component won't fail, ever. (and then THAT component is a raging piece of ****)

Some things are at the mercy of design teams having to compromise. The engine group is not the chassis group is not the body group.

Today's bad design to the consumer was a bad design 3,4,5 years ago in development, so by the time it sucks in production, it gets a patch to try and mitigate damages.

I was reading a thread on Instagram where a fool was ranting about post injection for regeneration. The tidbit he hadn't stumbled across is that Navistar stocked their engineering ranks with infants and sent all the knowledge laden old men to the house. I don't know why they still exist.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Back