Impact Wrench

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
Need a good 1/2" impact wrench. Cordless or air powered doesn't matter. My compressor is rated at 4.5scfm@90psi. I've got a cheap husky air impact now that is rated at 300ftlbs but I usually end up grabbing my walmart corded impact because it's stronger but it's too large to fit in to most spaces.

I have a Mac, a couple Snap-On's, Aircat's, and Ingersolls...

Mac is OK, Snap-on is good, Ingersoll Titanium is right there with both of those, but cheaper. Best for the money I have to say Aircat...you can pick them up for about a hundred bucks cheaper, and they are almost as good.

And I'm not using them for taking nuts off car tires...we're torquing lug nuts to 600+ ft lbs, and taking them back off with 1/2" impacts. We use the hell out of them.

Chris

I have a Mac, a couple Snap-On's, Aircat's, and Ingersolls...

Mac is OK, Snap-on is good, Ingersoll Titanium is right there with both of those, but cheaper. Best for the money I have to say Aircat...you can pick them up for about a hundred bucks cheaper, and they are almost as good.

And I'm not using them for taking nuts off car tires...we're torquing lug nuts to 600+ ft lbs, and taking them back off with 1/2" impacts. We use the hell out of them.

Chris

I feel like the Ingersoll are best buy but thats just me. Its what I have and takes off anything. My setup/detail guy at work just bought an aircat less than 30 days ago and already sent it back for repairs.

Mine are used for general auto use. Lug nuts, hub nuts, stubborn nuts, etc. I don't think anything on my Z comes close to 200ftlbs much less 600+ LOL. But it is pretty crappy that my husky impact can't break loose axle bolts that a 1/2" breaker bar and my arm can with ease.

I like the AirCats as well, have both a 1/2 and 3/8". Haven't had any issues out of either of them and they definitely aren't priced like an IR.

My 1/2" on the same air supply will almost hang with the 3/4" IR we have.

Never heard of an aircat before today but after doing some reading on them they look like beasts. Not bad price either.

I have a steelman impact at home. Its what "they" were using at the jiffy lube my cousin worked at and i was impressed with it. Found one on ebay for $70 bucks. So far on light duty trucks and cars I have not found a bolt/nut it could not break free.

At work all we use is Ingersoll rand and they are beasts. We have 1/2" and 3/4" titanium ones and they are insane. 600ft/lb caliper bolts pop off with the half inch guns. The 3/4" gun sounds like it free spins when you use it for the caliper bolts.

I run the snap on MG725 and love it!!

I'm right there with you, this is the strongest 1/2" impact I've used. I actually own tow, but it's on the heavy side. For 90% of my work, I use a 3/8" Matco/IR that's rated @ 380ft/lbs and for the medium work I use a 1/2" IR 2135 rated at 725ft/lbs that's easy to toat around.

I have a crappy Husky impact. But I was really surprised with some of the decent impacts that Harbor Freight sells. I don't think there a bad choice. But I also use a Lithium powered SnapOn Impact. I can easily pull Mack truck heads off that are torqed to spec of 210lbs.

Mg31 and mg725 here. I've had Mac's 3/8th, Ingersoll 3/4, CAT and CP 3/4s.
The snap-on parts get my vote.
The buttons fly out of the macs eventually.
No-one runs air cats at the shop.
Electric guns, we all run 3/8ths 18v snapons or Milwaukee fuels. Both will produce 100ft/lbs in reverse consistently.
Two of us have the previous and latest generation of snapons half inch guns. Both will pull lug nuts off heavy trucks. No idea how many times they will do that though.

I love my 3/8 and 1/2 aircats. Had them for about 6 years now. Still going strong. I like how quiet and smooth they are.

Ingersoll titanium.. ifound mine on the side of the road.. it has done everything ihave asked if it

I have a Ingersoll electric impact 3/8 and 1/2. And they both will take just bout whatever you put them on. I've had the snap on 1/2 and this Ingersoll out performs the snap on by a long just, at least to me it does.

So after reading all day I've narrowed it down to the aircat 1150 or IR 2135ti. Decisions descisions.

I have the IR titanium max and the air cat 1150 . I always find myself reaching for the air cat. Comfortable handle well balanced quiet and very strong.

Back