In Cab Video - Versailles, KY 6-14-10

Smoke

VP Puller Playin Catch-Up
Nothing special but figured I'd share this. I wanted to get an idea of what my gauges were doing and decided to find out once & for all. This should be my last or one of my last pulls with my airplane gears. I'm supposed to be getting them switched out in the next week or so. Running 2nd hi with 3.54's and 33's. Sled hit me and might as well have turned the key off. Sorry its so long, I didn't edit it and forgot to turn it off until I pulled back around to the scales.

In Cab Video - Versailles, KY 6-14-10

Thanks. 2.6 Silver Bullet for a charger. I'm pretty underpowered for the class. I just dyno'd a few weeks ago and put down 608/1103 which I was happy with considering the stock 150k mile VP but still feel like it could do better. I'm trying to figure out why it cuts out like it does. I know the Redline boxes are erradic but there are too many others running them without the cutting out issues I'm having. I'm hoping to see my speed and RPM's increase with a gear change in the next week or so hopefully. Maybe then I won't snuff so hard at the big end of the track.

Buddy of mine was havin a pretty ugly cut-out at high RPM's. He fixed a fuel leak and replaced the crank sensor and we think that probably cleared it up. Not 100% yet, as he's havin programming issues.

Once he gets the boxes back and wraps it up to 4k we'll see though lol.

I eased back in on the clutch to keep the RPM's up and it went too high too quick. It defueled and started fueling again. Notice the Redline went from the normal display to "TIMEOUT" and the red light went out for a split second. That's usually what it does when I'm tinkering & it revs all it can before it defuels. I've only gotten to pull with this setup three times and it fuels a lot harder than I'm used to so I'm not as smooth at coming out right at 4k anymore. I usually lose a few RPM's before I get going.

Away from the track the settings I run in this video I found did a pretty good job & it seemed like it wasn't going to cut out until about 3800 but evidently the track had other plans for how it was going to run. This was probably the best out of the three runs as far as cutting out with the first one being a close second. Second pull this year was HORRIBLE. I'm gonna keep defueling it until it starts to clear up.

I took the redline off last night to send to Chip for a new flash. Last flash on it was in 05. I've got another Redline I should be able to run this weekend if my gearing isn't being changed by then. Guess we'll see.

My truck would cut fuel at 4krpm then timeout right after and i had the redline unlimited. Have you tried hooking the fuel system up on a toggle switch so the ecm doesnt shut it off because thats when mine would timeout.

Sounds good Rodney! 600hp is nothing to laugh at for sure. I like the in cab pulling video's too, and the truck sounds good.

Eric

I have the Unlimited Redline, I run a toggle switch to the AirDog and actually run the power wire off the alternator instead of the battery so I pick up a few extra volts too. I've run damn near every freakin combination of programming at some point, just not with these injectors. Within the last few years, I've run Redline 60%, 75%, 80%, 100%, EZ (Drag Comp untapped) with MAP plugged in and unplugged, with Smarty timing only, with Smarty no timing and EZ plugged & unplugged, with Smarty timing and EZ plugged & unplugged. About the only thing I can think of that I haven't done is tried the Redline by itself. The pull in the video was Smarty SW3 tq 6 timing 4 duration 0, EZ plugged in, and Redline 60%. This gave me the smoothest rev before cutting out when playing with it at home.

Figured since you never know what the Redline is actually doing for fuel and timing, or when it even decides to take over or give the control back to the ECM, that I would at least make sure the pump is at full advanced timing when it toggles between it controlling the pump and the ECM controlling it. I think that might be part of what the cutting out and popping might be is the Redline losing command of the pump and taking back over, but not sure yet.

As far as Smarty settings, I have tried SW3 with no revo, SW2 & SW3 with tq 6 timing 4 or 0 and always duration 0. I've never had a Smarty fuel worth a darn on any truck on the top end as good as it does on 0 duration. on SW3. Seems like I've tried SW4 &/or SW5 but can't remember for sure. Higher numbers on a VP Smarty are useless for the top end, they just dead pedal after so much throttle and actually lose some top end fueling.

This video is probably the least its cut out yet @ 60%. I already have my Redline off ready to send to Chip & will be borrowing another Unlimited Redline I used to run with a different flash. I tried to hook again after the class and they wouldn't let me. I wanted to try 50% with mine before I sent it back.

I'll see ahead of time if they'll let me try twice this weekend so I can run a few different settings with my old (borrowed) Redline. I know its not gonna make a huge difference in how it runs but getting the popping out will definately make me feel better about whats going on inside the cylinders.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks Eric. I plan on recording darn near every pull from inside the cab since I've got a spare camera now for it. Its not the best quality video but it serves the purpose with a $50 camera.

Last edited:
Figured since you never know what the Redline is actually doing for fuel and timing, or when it even decides to take over or give the control back to the ECM, that I would at least make sure the pump is at full advanced timing when it toggles between it controlling the pump and the ECM controlling it. I think that might be part of what the cutting out and popping might be is the Redline losing command of the pump and taking back over, but not sure yet.

Aren't quad users supposed to expect the same hickup with the pump when using the 4k tune?

Makes sense either way.

Back