In short: What would you do to bring life to a 7.3 IDI ?

JacktheBear3

Enthusiast
It's not the ideal place to start, I understand that. What can a guy do to get the most out of a 7.3 IDI Power Stroke.

Don't hold back, money might not be an object... What brings the power and beast out of the IH shaker?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

~W

Wont the turbo just help it get up and go a little better (nothing extreme) what about the fuel and injectors?? What needs to be done or what path should one take for such a jouney. I say this knowing that it wont be anything comparable to the Powerstroke motors..But what can be done and what can you expect.
Im looking at a 91 and thinking about something to mess around with..

Ken and DPS had a 6.9L that was running somewhere around 400 to the wheels...he lowered the compression, put some big ugly turbo on it, studded the heads, some medival pump work on it...it ran on the street, all up until it coughed its cookies in a glorious final harah! Interesting to see though.

Do the turbo. My brother had an ATS kit on his 6.9 that worked very well. I think they even put a new turbo in the kit now.
To get the fuel for the turbo kit you can turn up the pump. The rule of thumb that I always hear is 1/4 turn for adding the turbo. It doesn't take much !!!
As always it is good to upgrade the exhaust to help the motor exhale and gauges are always a good idea, especially when you are adding more fuel.

Beyond this you can add injectors and head studs. There is also a homemade water meth kit out on the internet that a guy made for his 7.3 that seemed to work well for him. Sorry I don't know the website off hand. Lowering the compression can also be an option but at some point it doesn't become very streatable and also hard to start.

I would check out the DPS website. They have all the parts you need and someone who has actually used them. I think there is also a soundbite of a low compression 6.9 starting. Sounds pretty sweet.

ya i got the 88 7.3 the pump is up 4 turns in need the turbo any body got a ats kickin it

JacktheBear3 said:
It's not the ideal place to start, I understand that. What can a guy do to get the most out of a 7.3 IDI Power Stroke.

Don't hold back, money might not be an object... What brings the power and beast out of the IH shaker?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

~W

I just have to make a correction here, and its a good thing ya didnt spit that out else where! The 7.3L IDI is NOT a powerchoke.

I'll send u a link for an exellent forum for the ol IDI. PM cummins your way.

theres a little plate on the side of the pump you needa remove the plate bar the engine over while watching thru the side of the pump with a mirror and droplight till you see ahole with a allen head at the bottem of it I cannot remember the size of allen needed but insert allen head rotate to the front of the engine if I remember correctly rinstall plate making sure not to over tighten bolts as the break quiet easily and not to lose the little rubber gasket

5/16 allen head use a small one with a 5/16 socket and extension some are lock tight if the pump has been rebuilt and need some ectra leverage in my opinion the banks turbo can handle more power then ats the two i hot rodded the banks turbo made way more top end ats spooled off the line though a lil better i agree with the above marine injectors studs turbo timing 4 sure to see big numbers and monster exhaust idi motors run hot also propane make a huge difference due to the idi system small amount will help egt and motor life too much and good bye bottom end

what do you turn on the pump???

Good info & pics here....

http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Injection%20pump%20adjustment%20article.htm

Personally I'd MAYBE go one flat other then that leave it alone. Free flow exhaust guy out the soup bowl & come up with some kinda ram air. We messed up with mine & did little over half a turn or so (4 flats I guess) when everyone says 2. Wanted to make sure we were going to make an impact. :bang
Still don't smoke a HUGE amount like a Cummins but smokes more then I like it to getting on the highway, trying to pass someone or pulling a trailer. Drive it easy & it's alright other wise it just smokes & it ain't got no turbo to clear it up on the top end. With a good load or winding it up to 100mph EGTs will shoot up to about 1100* & stay there speed/RPM/pedel maxed out on a mostly flat road.
I plan on backing off the screw on mine about 3 flats soon to get it back to a more stock level. So I don't have to worry about cooking it pulling trailers & what not.

I know there isn't much traffic down here but this is what I always planned on doing to my old 6.9L one day

Set of Mahle 19.5:1 pistons ceramic coated
Head Studs
Some pump work or just a turned up 7.3L pump even though to 6.9L pump should flow enough
Worked over injectors
Banks sidewinder, crank the wastegate to get around 15-20psi of boost
PSD intercooler
Water injection to try and keep it running cool
Exhaust, probably Banks DP to 4" to a set of stacks, maybe a 2" or so body lift to avoid pounding on the firewall
and a ZF-6 to get some long legs

Oh and if I was doing a 7.3 I would add on to that list a set of 7.3L factory turbo rods

I know it would never be a racer but would be fun to have a built up idi. Its been a while since I have read up on the old idi's and such but thats what I remember wanting to do.

What about the hypermax turbo kit and other suff 4 these. I just got a '92 and I was lookin heavy at their stuff?

Hypermax, in my opinion, was a better "kit". Easier install.
But the last one we did was in 93-94? I know we tried all of the kits mentioned back in the day, and settled on Hypermax.

If money is no object build your own system with a Holset H1 or H2 turbo. Add fuel as needed.
Make sure the heads are on good and tight. :doh:
If your building an engine, start with a balanced rotating assembly.
You can also p-pump those puppies.
:rockwoot:Boom!!!! < See IHC exploding sound effect. LOL

Back