Industrial Strength De-Greaser

Big Smoky

Former 35er Electrician!
When I pull my tranny to do my clutch and such, I'm going to get all the caked up grease and crap out from underneath the truck. Whats the best stuff to use. I'm not talking about the stuff you buy from the auto parts places in the bottle. I'm talking about getting hardcore grease off my tranny, cross member, frame, ect.

I agree, brake cleaner works better than anything else I have tried.

Friday I painted the cover for my valve covers and the brake clean ate the paint off. I sprayed, wiped, and it came off.

I agree, brake cleaner works better than anything else I have tried.

I know, but that's A LOT of cans of brake cleaner. One can really doesn't last that long. Just wondering what's the best overall for big jobs and heavily soiled items.

I have used targo before to take road tar off of a truck, took the tar off but not the paint. I got it from my dad at work, not sure where you could get it over the counter though.

hot water steam cleaner.... is the key ,,,using somthing as simple as simple green works very good ... most of or degresers will have a acid base... or go to a detail shop and see if they will let you but some from them.... me personaly i like "pro products" kinda hard to find

hot water steam cleaner.... is the key ,,,using somthing as simple as simple green works very good ... most of or degresers will have a acid base... or go to a detail shop and see if they will let you but some from them.... me personaly i like "pro products" kinda hard to find

You beat me to it, I was going to say a steam pressure washer... thats what I'm going to use on my motor when it gets pulled this winter. If you use one of these you probably won't need any de-greaser, lol.

Where can you get a steam pressure washer. Pardon my ignorance. Thanks

Castrol Superclean is some of the strongest stuff you can buy off the shelf. Way stronger than simple green.

Well, if you know of any place you or a friend can get ZEP products, Formula 940 works mint. Its a "Heavy Duty Steam Cleaner/Degreaser". We use it at the shop to clean engines, undercarriages, anything oily. And the best use for it all together is to take soot off, or clean your tires.

If you have access to some mineral spirits and compressed air, go by the parts house and get a jet gun. It'll have a tube you run into a bottle of solvent and an air hookup, it works about as well as steam, just a bit easier to use on a lift in a shop.

Castrol Superclean is some of the strongest stuff you can buy off the shelf. Way stronger than simple green.

X2 this is honestly the best stuff I have found. You can use a regular cold water pressure washer, and it is cheap. There is a knock-off of the Castrol called "Purple Power" I think, that is the exact same thing but cheaper, you can find it at Walmart or any parts store.

Here are some pics of a motor I cleaned with it, those are all the same parts just a new turbo...

Picture002.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg

Wow...thats pretty impressive! I'm going to have to tear down the front of my truck so I can clean the motor! Mine is 10x worse than that!

Your is worse than that?!:gag:

Check out the radiator from the same truck...

Picture011-1.jpg

It ma be just as bad. The rear of the engine is the worst. It's all over the tranny also. I want another engine to put on a stand and do it all at once then just swap the built, clean motor and clean the tranny and t-case while I'm at it. If you know of a good 12v for $1200 or so, let me know.

Yeah pressure washers are the best, especially hot water ones. But i really like Spray 9 for just cleaning up anything oily or greasy, but not for stuff thats caked on heavy.

The 1st gen i had was way worse, the gunk was so bad that the belt had a groove cut in it. Might have helped if I had fixed the timing cover after the kdp fell out a year before I sold it. It needed the oil coating to keep the underbody from rotting the rest of the way out.
My solution to getting rid of the gunk was to trade it in. It was a lot easier than scrubbing it down.

I keep a small bucket of diesel fuel handy for small parts. it works pretty good on oil and grease. Also wd40 but Im not sure how good it would work on large applications.

Back