Injection line size & turbo opinions plz.

Mooner1

First off howdy to all you first gener's & thanks for chiming in. Tryed to fill out my sig as best I could given the size constraints so you'd know what I got goin. Woking on transplanting a 12v into what is affectionately known around my house as the CumCharger our 89' Ramcharger. My first question pertains to fuel line size. I am going to have to bend up my own injector lines as I have looked & found no one listed in my area (southern Ks) who does this. Having an auto it is my understanding that 84's are as big as someone would want to go for driveability purposes. At some point I will upgrade to a 14mm H&R. Could a set of 84's behave on the street with a 12mm H&R Until I do so? Although I'm sure bending up a set of lines will no doubt be an exilerating experience I really only want to pay for it once. I plan on buying a swegelok belder for the job.

I have trolled for quite a while until I felt I had a worthy project & questions and I have read many of the first gen threads. I recall a thread in which line size was discussed and a Cummins fuel system engineer chimed in and stated that there was no need to run any bigger lines than factory offered (.078?) as the VE's fueling capabilities could not take advantage of them. Now, that being said I know there is no performance benifit from a lope, however if I went with 84's and the CumCharger ended up sounding anything like JQmile's at an idle that would suit me just fine. If i remember right lot of his lope comes directly from his Schied pump.

Second question. I have a few turbo options. A rebuilt HE351vgt with BEP batmo wheel and a stand alone controller or or a BEP 66/74/14 with race cover. Originally planned on running the vgt as a single but as all of my funds for my 24v have been appropriated for this project :bang and things got a little more, er, interesting I have contemplated running the vgt as the high pressure in a compound setup. I know the 5x16's may be a bit warm for the vgt as a single especially with the afc delete and was warned as such by the rep at DAP.
So, what do you all think?

I you're after a set of pre-made high-pressure feedlines, you might consider these: Pure Diesel Power

If you're simply after a lope, just make one of the injector lines substantially longer, or substantially shorter than the rest. You could possibly compliment the issue with a substantially different pop-pressure setting of the affected injector. You might even consider just swapping one of the injector nozzles with one of grossly oversized orifices. That'll perhaps even add a little black smoke at idle.

:D

You don't need any special pipe bender to fold your IP lines. A simple soft-copper tubing bender commonly used in the HVAC industry works just fine. On that note, you might consider using 1/4" soft copper tubing to develop your prototype fuel lines before actually bending the genuine article.

OriginalIPLine.jpg

IPProtoype.jpg

IndividualLine.jpg

Works like a champ.

All folded with the above shown tool . . . ..
DriverSideTeardown.jpg

PassSideTeardown.jpg

As others have pointed out, you'll be a first, to move enough fuel through the stock/OEM lines with a VE, and have the lines become a notable restriction. $.02

Good luck with your build. :)

Last edited:
Hehe..alright,alright. Thanks, BC847. I knew the lope comment was goin to get someone fired up. Just to be clear not shooting for any lope, just want the best sized/performing lines and just want to do it once. If there was a slight lope as a side afect when running them with the 12mm H&R I'd be cool with it is all I'm saying. I guess I just didn't know if guys were running stock lines or going larger when going to 14mm H&R's & if I did go larger how it would affect idle/driveability with the 12mm H&R. Good thinkin on the line bender might be able to get my hands on one of those a little cheaper. Got a hvac supply house here in town. Also, Nice work, Those lines look good man.

Back