injection pump isn't going to full fuel

mtboggs

I have a 96 12 valve 5spd and all of a sudden it wasn't going to full fuel when I would get one it. I found that the intercooler was rotted out and leaking so I replaced that, but it is still doing it. It doesn't act like it's getting air in the fuel it idles and runs fine and has power on the low end but about 2,000 rpms it gets supper sluggish and I also noticed that I've lost about 800 rpm when pedal is to the floor in any gear. I took the afc housing off my 98 and put on it but it didn't change anything I'm out of ideas......

I'm going to swap overflow valves out and put my 98's in and see if it changes. I don't have anything to hook up and see what my fuel pressure is doing.

Fuel shut off selenoid is going all the way up like it should. I'm going to have to order a fuel pressure gauge to see what the fuel pressure is doing, that's the only thing I haven't checked yet. Any more ideas or thoughts? Could the gov springs be getting week? Something has been done to the gov springs, I could almost hit 3,500 on a free rev and 3k in gear before this happend and now it's a struggles to get to 2500 rpm in any gear and only hits 3k out of gear now.

I changed out lift pumps and changed the fuel filter and it still didn't change anything I have yet to get a gauge to what the fuel pressure is doing. Any other ideas I can try or check till I get a guage?

if someone previously was changing out the gov. springs and did not know what they were doing there is a chance they could have them all out of wack and not installed correctly. I would measure the nut to stud and to see if that is correct first.

If the timing slipped wouldn't it run like crap, wouldn't it be hard to start, cut out when you get on it, ect..?

Yes afc line is on and not leaking. That was the first thing I checked. It used to peek at a little over 55 pounds of boost, now I can only squeeze a little over 40 out of it which should still be plenty enough the move the afc foot to allow the rack to go to full fuel.

Back