injector addressing/programming

Scooter's Roofing

is a myth AFIK

I've replaced a ton of ECM's on 6.7 trucks. No injector programming. No injector address codes.

A few weeks ago I got a software update for my Snap-on Modis and it is 6.7 injector code capable! Well I got curious, found a deleted 6.7 read the original codes and recorded them. Then I literally switched them all around to see if it ran any different. It started just fine, idled fine and had no perceptible performance change on a quick trip up the street.

On the 3406E and C15 cat motors a simple injector code change can add an instant 50hp. I've recoded a few of those as well.

Last edited:
I see injector coding simply as a means to calibrate each injector for emissions control. On reman Cat injectors the codes on top of the injector are usually removed unless it's a genuine Cat part.

Now what about different injectors having something different inside of them requiring a change?

It might be a year change sort of thing. Like say the 2009 and 2010 Rams. Still a Ram, still same engine, but very different on the outside. Interchangeable driveline but maybe not the ECUs?

Just thinking out loud here. Its like the VE 12v injectors and the P-pump 12v injectors...

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

No, its nothing more than the actual tiny calibration difference between nozzles. So in theory if you swapped your stock highest flowing injector with the lowest, maybe you might see some perceivable idle difference.

Once you swap nozzles that code would be worthless.

Now what about different injectors having something different inside of them requiring a change?

It might be a year change sort of thing. Like say the 2009 and 2010 Rams. Still a Ram, still same engine, but very different on the outside. Interchangeable driveline but maybe not the ECUs?

Just thinking out loud here. Its like the VE 12v injectors and the P-pump 12v injectors...

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

07-09 ECM's interchange. 2010-2012 are different as they incorporate the TCM in the ECM vs. the external TCM on 07-09 ECM's

I believe 10-12 ECM's interchange

No, its nothing more than the actual tiny calibration difference between nozzles. So in theory if you swapped your stock highest flowing injector with the lowest, maybe you might see some perceivable idle difference.

Once you swap nozzles that code would be worthless.

good info!

why have you had to replace so many ECM's? Just curious?

ECM's die. It's not something I'd call a regular/common occurrence, but it happens often enough. And when it does, I replace them :D

I think 9 times out of 10, it's somebody doing something like hooking up jumper cables wrong or doing creative wiring, but nobody ever admits what they did.

ECM's die. It's not something I'd call a regular/common occurrence, but it happens often enough. And when it does, I replace them :D

I think 9 times out of 10, it's somebody doing something like hooking up jumper cables wrong or doing creative wiring, but nobody ever admits what they did.

He had to replace mine... It is locked up and currently at H&S with hopes that they can fix it. I had a manual smarty file loaded, then h&s xrt pro on top of that. Something funny with the communication required from the xrt pro for the od tune locked up the tcm when I unplugged it with the truck running. Didn't realize what happened, then tried to return the truck to stock with the xrt and that locked up the ecm.. Too much stuff on there basically..

Thanks by the way forest. He does know what he's talking about. He shipped me an ecm with my file for my year truck. Plugged it in and it worked like a champ...

No more issues by the way forest.. EFI has fixed all. :Cheer:

Back