Injector needle shim?

wannabecummins

Baloney Tugboat
So today I was putting my 90hp nozzles on my brand new injectors. Got through 4 of them and then noticed a small little metal disc. Took another nozzle off and this disc(shim?) fell out as well. It fits into a bore in the pressure pin between the nozzle. What is it? Also if one fell out what would the consequences be? I guess I'm lucky I noticed it before it was too late. I forgot to take a picture

Those are the shims that set pop-off pressure; more shims, the higher the injection pressure. They're important; if you're missing one then that cylinder will be smokey and low on power.

I set my pressures a few years ago when I had access to a pop-off tester; I used cheap little zinc washers with the holes drilled out a little bit. I'm told that's not what you want to use to set pressures, but I haven't noticed any ill effects...

I've also heard of people making shims using a soda can and hole punches. I don't know if I believe them though.

So on DDP's nozzle swap instructions they have a picture of the little "puck" I'm talking about. They mention not too mix them up. How critical is this? Unfortunately I don't think these pucks all ended up in the original injectors they came from

So on DDP's nozzle swap instructions they have a picture of the little "puck" I'm talking about. They mention not too mix them up. How critical is this? Unfortunately I don't think these pucks all ended up in the original injectors they came from

Well in that case, you are going to need someone to re-set the pop off pressures. That is if this is a 12 valve, I don't know about 6.7 injectors if that's what you are talking about.

Last edited:
I'm thinking he's talking CR here guys.

If you are talking about those almost invisible little shims you better try and find them. It won't run without them.

I'm thinking he's talking CR here guys.

If you are talking about those almost invisible little shims you better try and find them. It won't run without them.

Sorry guys, Snedge is right its a 04.5 5.9 commonrail. I found all the shims and put one in each injector. The truck runs perfect as far as I can tell. Is it an issue of they got mixed up is my concern, and what are there purpose?

Back