injector removal

DBogo

alright this is not my first time doing injectors in a 12v but the first time i could not get the hold down nuts loose, any one ever have this happen and what did you do? i got one to break loose but it spun the injector and gouged the head with the little ball, and now the nut is stuck on the injector with it out of the truck, this is really throwing me for a loop i need some advice asap

simple way

a truck lug nut, a 15/16th socket, two washers, and a 1 1/2 inch square tubing..

simply remove the hold down nut with the 15/16th socket..
slide the square tubing over the injector
put two washers through the injector to sit over the tube...
take a truck lug nut (threads should be exposed enough to do this) and twist it onto the threads..
take your 7/8 ratchet and tighten, you will use rotational torque to pull injector out..
repeat for all five others and enjoy

in your case.. a can of good pb blaster should work...

think that is bad i made up a small slap hammer but i pulled them on my ole 94 w/570k #6 injector broke i half.

the issue is the hold down nut wont come loose ive got pb blaster sitting on it now im going to let it sit overnight, i cant beleive the injector ball chewed through the head though, once the nut comes off i know how to get them out but i just cant get that damn nut loose

I did that to one and it slum the injector chewing up thee head where that groove I'd and now the nut is stuck on the injector

maybe try a little heat. It you have to you may be able to quinch the nut enough to cause it to shrink and crack. Then you may be able to save the head at the cost of a few nuts.

Make sure you check the head where the injector spun. A guy I know had that happen and it cracked the head. I would use some heat like someone has suggested.

well i just called up my buddy at cummins northeast and he said the head should be fine, only thing that does is line up the return line, i hope it dont crack

well any more ideas guys there all not moving and now i have two trucks not running

I had all six in one head do that. A couple came loose after alot of working. put a socket that fits over the injector, but not the nut, and beat on it. Use lots of penetrating oil. Keep working at them they will come.

from what i hear the head will be fine but there all loose but spinning the injector because the nut is stuck on the injector, this is the only time this has ever happened usually they come right out, there soaking some more in blaster

yes it also does that, i guess from what i hear heat is a bad idea because theres so much stuff around there that can catch on fire

It will take a little time, but the heat/soak/shock method is your best bet. Heat it up just a bit, soak it down with some good penetrating oil, and rap on it with a hammer and deep socket.

Do the injectors have the little O ring still on them or were they left off many years ago letting water down in between the injector and nut rusting them solid?

Good luck man.. :Cheer:

Be carefull... I had one that spun the injector with it and it did the same thing your are seeing. The locating ball on the injector makes a mess of the head. The #6 injector bore actually cracked the head enough that coolant started spewing out the injector bore.
Nothing a little radiator stop leak didnt fix lol. :doh:

Back