Injectors, Delivery Valves, 191, 024, SDX

Drothgeb

Almost Fast-N-Loud
I'm havin an issue with low egts and boost. With my plate and afc ff, I max out at about 1100-1200 egts and maybe 40psi of boost with the wastegate blocked, with hardly any smoke. I know these numbers are pretty good, but I need some extra fuel for spraying it on the track. I thought that I would have some extra with this setup, but the seat-o-meter just doesn't feel it .

Knowing that I already have low egts, would changing to 5x14s, or delivery valves be the way to go (both?)? I would think that the injectors would be the best choice, but I'm not sure if my 160hp pump can supply enough fuel for them, I get the feeling that it's straining to feed the 5x12s now. So, should I do the delivery valves first. I've been leaning toward some 024s over the 191s, but the SDX DVs sound like a good option.

Anybody running the SDX DVs on the street and know how much smoke as compared to the 024s? It run so clean right now, maybe the SDXs would be the way to go?

Maybe the SDX 5x14s and DVs together, would be the way to go?

I'm looking for 450hp on #2, and about 550hp on the bottle. I was thinking my original build would do that, but after running it a little, I just don't think that I have the fuel.

I responded over on CF. Look at the thread in here about cutting 131 delivery valves to full cuts. That's where I got JariV's post from. He did a nice write up. I've also added my writeup on the SDX style valves. You should have more than enough fuel with your plans and more.

Your fuel is restricted by those DVs mainly, 160 pump will supply well when equipped with bigger DVs and other mods like AFC. I'd get both DVs and injectors.

But without knowing more of your setup I cannot tell anything more specific.

I'm havin an issue with low egts and boost. With my plate and afc ff, I max out at about 1100-1200 egts and maybe 40psi of boost with the wastegate blocked, with hardly any smoke. I know these numbers are pretty good, but I need some extra fuel for spraying it on the track. I thought that I would have some extra with this setup, but the seat-o-meter just doesn't feel it .

Knowing that I already have low egts, would changing to 5x14s, or delivery valves be the way to go (both?)? I would think that the injectors would be the best choice, but I'm not sure if my 160hp pump can supply enough fuel for them, I get the feeling that it's straining to feed the 5x12s now. So, should I do the delivery valves first. I've been leaning toward some 024s over the 191s, but the SDX DVs sound like a good option.

Anybody running the SDX DVs on the street and know how much smoke as compared to the 024s? It run so clean right now, maybe the SDXs would be the way to go?

Maybe the SDX 5x14s and DVs together, would be the way to go?

I'm looking for 450hp on #2, and about 550hp on the bottle. I was thinking my original build would do that, but after running it a little, I just don't think that I have the fuel.

what does your fuel press look like?

^I was about to ask the fuel pressure question myself

I've got 5x14's, 181's in 131 seats and an external fuel pressure regulator - made 522whp and the thing smokes like a freight train

I responded over on CF. Look at the thread in here about cutting 131 delivery valves to full cuts. That's where I got JariV's post from. He did a nice write up. I've also added my writeup on the SDX style valves. You should have more than enough fuel with your plans and more.

Yeah, I have a lathe and thought about cutting the 131s I have, but I'm concerned about them coming out matched. I don't have much time for experimenting either. The 024s or SDXs sound like a better choice anyway

Your fuel is restricted by those DVs mainly, 160 pump will supply well when equipped with bigger DVs and other mods like AFC. I'd get both DVs and injectors.

But without knowing more of your setup I cannot tell anything more specific

The pump has the standard mods; #100, rack plug, afc spring, trimmed foot, flat washer, set to 22-24psi for full fueling. I do get good smoke pre-boost, but as soon as the turbo lights, it clears right up, even with the plate mia. I just shouldn't be able to clear the 5x12s with the turbo I have, but it does. My fuel pressure is good, so what else is left besides DVs?

what does your fuel press look like?

Not sure what you're asking???

My plan was to normally have my plate and afc set for not too much smoke on the street. Then, pull the plate and have enough fuel to give it a 100hp shot on the track. But right now I'm just not getting that much fuel. I just get the feeling that my little 160hp pump could use some bigger DVs, but I'm not sure.

^I was about to ask the fuel pressure question myself

I've got 5x14's, 181's in 131 seats and an external fuel pressure regulator - made 522whp and the thing smokes like a freight train

Fuel pressure runs 20-22 at WOT. I have an adjustable OFV on order to see if I can get that up to 25-30. I also have a booster pump that I can add too.

Right now, I think I'm getting a pretty clean 400-425hp. The 5x14s flow about 30% more fuel, so 522hp sounds about right.

But, I'm trying to get enough fuel through the 5x12s that I can hit 550hp with spray. At first I didn't think it would be a big problem, but now I think my 160hp pump may need some pretty big DVs to get that done.

Try SDX Comp DVs first with the injectors you have. If you're not satisfied with that and the exh. temp does not rise high enough then buy bigger injectors. That should be the way not wasting money on things you dont need.

Fuel pressure runs 20-22 at WOT. I have an adjustable OFV on order to see if I can get that up to 25-30. I also have a booster pump that I can add too.

Right now, I think I'm getting a pretty clean 400-425hp. The 5x14s flow about 30% more fuel, so 522hp sounds about right.

But, I'm trying to get enough fuel through the 5x12s that I can hit 550hp with spray. At first I didn't think it would be a big problem, but now I think my 160hp pump may need some pretty big DVs to get that done.

I was asking what your fuel pressure was at WOT ... IMO you need to be in the 40psi range with that pump

i have an adjustable fuel pump. it runs constant at 45psi. 40 WOT. Doesnt matter though your fine at 20 psi. Ive turned my pressure down to that before it doesnt effect performance or power your setup doesnt require more fuel psi than that even if you got larger dvs and 5x0.014. Start with DV's and turbo upgrade(if your still running stock) 5x12's can do alot

IIRC...my filter was getting clogged one time and the truck lost power around 10 psi and spuddered out at 2-5psi. this was when i had 5x0.014 injectors, No fuel plate and 042 DVs. real life experience right here :)

i have an adjustable fuel pump. it runs constant at 45psi. 40 WOT. Doesnt matter though your fine at 20 psi. Ive turned my pressure down to that before it doesnt effect performance or power your setup doesnt require more fuel psi than that even if you got larger dvs and 5x0.014. Start with DV's and turbo upgrade(if your still running stock) 5x12's can do alot

The more fuel pressure I ran to my 175 pump the better it ran, with the set up listed he should not be having fuel problems

The more fuel pressure I ran to my 175 pump the better it ran, with the set up listed he should not be having fuel problems

Yeah, a lack of fuel, was one of the last things I expected with my setup too!! I was more worried about too much fuel for that 62/12 turbo and high egts.

I've already got that adjustable OFV coming, so I'll see if that helps. I also have an extra AFC housing sitting around. I may gut that one and pull the plate to see if that makes a difference. After that, I might try the 024s or 042s. If that doesn't work, I'll probably get the pump benched.

Back