injectors went bad from sitting?

jsf350

buddy has 53k mile injectors that have been out of a couple of years while building the truck.
3 of the 6 injectors are messed up
a shame to see this happen

if out for an extended time should they soak in diesel?

Even diesel absorbs water over time! Coated in light oil and wrapped in zip lock bags works best. It's the moisture in the air that gets all fuel related parts! CP3's are very vulnerable to this even a month open to the elements could destroy a pump!

Seen it happen with a buddy as well. Pulled good injectors, packed them with oil....years later they were paper weights.

It happens all the Time Pumps and injectors MUST be store with proper Lubes, Fuel or calibrating fluid should be removed and stored with break in lubricants Internal and external, even shops don't practice this and its $$$$.

My guess if storing in any environment that's NOT controlled anything more then even days can create problems. I've been in shops seeing rails, lines ,Pumps ,Injectors, etc just sitting on the bench expose, Most shops humidity levels are 60%+ during raining or wintry conditions.

What he said ^^^^

Just had a story on DD of a guy who bought a "slightly" used perf CP3 that literally lasted him 20 miles before it ate itself. That was a very expensive lesson for him.

It happens all the Time Pumps and injectors MUST be store with proper Lubes, Fuel or calibrating fluid should be removed and stored with break in lubricants Internal and external, even shops don't practice this and its $$$$.

My guess if storing in any environment that's NOT controlled anything more then even days can create problems. I've been in shops seeing rails, lines ,Pumps ,Injectors, etc just sitting on the bench expose, Most shops humidity levels are 60%+ during raining or wintry conditions.

What do you suggest a guy do with pump/injectors that have been calibrated and tested that are full of test fluid?

Drain them and pack them with grease?

Fuel goes bad over time. The calibration fluid used in injection shops like ours is designed to last a very long time. That is how the manufactures of the injection equipment can build stuff that will not go bad by the time the customer uses it. If you have injectors you know you will not be using for a while it is worth having a shop clean and test them before you put them away.

Back