intake gasket??

AlmostBroke94

so today i went to check my anti freeze, and from looking at it, it didnt look healthy so i put my finger in it, and its really thick and has an oil texture to it, and that was just the only layer under the cap that was like that, after clearing it out it the antifreez still looks good but im pretty sure thats not good. could i have blown an intake gasket?? ive never been really hard on the truck, and it seems to be running sound. would it affect my overall performance if it was my head or intake gasket? its basically stock with some mild pump tuning. any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds more like an oil cooler problem. That is where i would start anyway.

There is no intake gasket on a Cummins that would leak oil into the coolant. It is either the oil cooler or headgasket.

Inexpensive really. It's not hard at all. It's the housing where your oil filter goes on. You could have it pressure tested once it's removed or just simply replace it. Brian

Last edited:
Not possible from doing a flush. 9 times out of 10 the oil won't show any signs of contamination. Your 30 to 40 psi of oil pressure is overcoming the 10-15psi of cooling system pressure causing the cross contamination.

Not possible from doing a flush. 9 times out of 10 the oil won't show any signs of contamination. Your 30 to 40 psi of oil pressure is overcoming the 10-15psi of cooling system pressure causing the cross contamination.

i appreciate all the help. still reading the stuff from that link you posted. But this cross contamination is happening at the oil cooler then somehow, is there a gasket or seal that could have blown that is causing this at the oil cooler? or am i wrong and have this backwards?

Usually the cooler element itself fails. The only gasket that could possibly cause this is the head gasket or head itself IF the oil cooler is proven good. The oil cooler is the first place to start when diagnosing this problem. Once in a great while the block itself can cause this but rarely.

Usually the cooler element itself fails. The only gasket that could possibly cause this is the head gasket or head itself IF the oil cooler is proven good. The oil cooler is the first place to start when diagnosing this problem. Once in a great while the block itself can cause this but rarely.
thats where ill start then, the oil cooler. I really appreciate all the help.

Back