Intercoolers in cab-bad idea?

Sledpuller

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Basically anything in the cab with boost pressure, aside from a gauge,is probably a bad idea, I'm thinking.

Thoughts, experiences?

In drag racing, many have an intercooler blanket in the vehicle if it is in the car with them, and they're usually running only about c.40psi. I'd say it's a good idea!

A blanket isnt going to help your ears and eye's when the the thing busts at 100 psi.....

Most MOD pullers have the Air/Water coolers plumbed into the cab right next to the driver......I wouldnt want it beside me going down the track......

Ours has a sfi approved containment blanket around it, is open to atmosphere, and there is a firewall all around me. I think that if its in the open that it should at least have a scatter shield similar to engine shielding and probably a strap or cable to keep the air tanks from going too far.

Well its like this, guys should run a SFI blanket around them after seeing a video of one blowing the roof off a stang....

If its required then you will still have guys running slip boots with no straps.....:bang

that would be a cool idea if it can be done safely then you could pack ice around it.

While not completely the same I was pressure testing one in the shop a few weeks ago. One of the test plugs came out and it depressurized rapidly. Our shop is 50x40 and I still cant hear out of one ear. Needless to say mine is going to remain under the hood.

I say its a bad idea and all pressurized parts should remain under the hood. Ive blown boots off the intercooler of my puller at 80 psi that made my ears ring for hours after it happened. If this thing went off inside a cab with the windows up, it most likely do some serious damage to the ears and body and maybe death depending on how it pressurizes the cab.

Heard a story once about strapping an M80 to a bic lighter to make a granade, said that if it was inside of a car that it would rip your lunges out of your mouth.....thoughts!

Jim

Back