Diesel Freak

I am looking for an intercooler.

Choices are:

BD
Spearco
CoolTwist
HTT

I have e-mails out to all:

I am considering the possibility of a new intercooler for my truck. It currently makes 577 rear wheel horsepower. It has a set of mild compound turbos (Holset HX40 and a Garrett GT42-02). With those turbos, it only needs 54 psi to make that much power. EGT at this level is going to be hot, so I am not expecting to see a drop (if any on a chasis dyno) by installing an aftermarket intercooler. However, I would like to see a change in the pressure drop across the intercooler. What flow data do you have for your intercooler. What is the pressure drop across your intercooler at 600, 800, and 1200 CFM?

I am also looking for real world results from those who are using an aftermarket intercooler.

Opinions?

I dont believe HTT has a 2nd Gen intercooler. They have a nice 3rd gen unit.

I honestly can tell very little real world difference with my cooltwist IC other than the fact that it does not leak like the stock one... maybe 50* EGT but nothing that noticeably changed when installed.

Lavon

any change in boost pressure?

Cliffy, I got a Kool Twist a few years back from Rip! When I put it in I lost 7psi of total boost, went from 70psi to 63psi. I would say 50*-75* egt drop and a "tad" bit better spoolup. I plan to also do one in Mommas truck in the not to distant future! I feel it is a good upgrade just like a cam not all will/can appriciate it!

Exactumundo!!!!

I dont know is 50F drop in EGT and an extra 2 psi of boost is worth $1200.

I do need some more fuel too.

WOW this is quiet!!!

No word from Turbonetics yet....

anyone have any flowbench data that shows pressure drop vs. flow?

so far I have recieved data from two manufacturers. One has about 6x higher flow resistance (psi/cfm^2) once the change in air density is acounted for.

Last edited:
Not sure if he's on here or Cumminsforum or both buy you need to get ahold of "HAMMER" (Andy) he's flow benched all the big name IC's for the 12V's....had a pretty good discussion with him about it @ SDX. Just can't remember what he's running for some odd reason!:doh:

Cliff, have you looked into the ones PDR sells, the one I have was the very first and I still have not had a minutes worth of trouble with it, I've had it on since early 04'

Jim

I was told by HTT just yesterday that a stock 2nd gen cooler only flows around 600 cfm. He also told me that above the 62mm wheel that the air just got hotter because of this lack of air flow. I have installed a bunch of aftermarket coolers and most of the time they loose boost. I think it is because of more air flow and less restriction.

I was told by HTT just yesterday that a stock 2nd gen cooler only flows around 600 cfm. He also told me that above the 62mm wheel that the air just got hotter because of this lack of air flow. I have installed a bunch of aftermarket coolers and most of the time they loose boost. I think it is because of more air flow and less restriction.

600 CFM without temp and pressure means nothing.

FYI, most twin turbo trucks with a 75mm primary running 50-60 psi of boost push about 350-400 CFM "through" the intercooler.

however, they are pulling 1300 CFM through the air filter.

I too have a cool twist on my 12v. I did not notice any change at all honestly but I did solve a boost leak by putting it on my truck.

Spearcos and Cool Twist both seem to be good units but the thing about Cool Twist is they have a Lifetime warranty with them over the 1yr Spearcos offer and some have cracked those. And plus their a lil cheaper...... Intercoolers

ok, re-ran the figs.

so I have twins making 54 psi. CAC inlet is 600F, CAC outlet "could be" 110F (yeah, I know I am dreaming here)

so, Volume through the air filter is 1300 CFM

Volume into the CAC is 500 CFM

Volume out of the CAC is 325 CFM

Volume Average is approvimately 425 cfm through the CAC

Back