Intercooling my 90

On this early 91 i plan on using a 3rd gen cooler cut down so it's not so tall. I seen one other person do this and it looked good.

If you decide to use a 2nd gear cooler let me know I have one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A P/S cooler is both thicker and has larger in/outlets, as compared to the OEM Dodge ones.
Dimension-ally, they are about identical in height and width, but still require some fab to make them mount in the hole.

I pitched a few of the P/S ones into the last load of aluminum I sent out, but still kept one or 2 around. :cool:

Mark.

I know this topic has been beat around for years, but instead of doing the second gen intercooler, is there a commercial intercooler from any type of equipment (construction, tractor, whatever) that could fit behind my grille so that I wouldn't have to do nearly as much hacking? I'm sure it would be more expensive, but I'd gladly pay more for something I could make fit better.

I think they're getting rarer, but I got a Procharger intercooler designed for Mustang kits for $200 off of Ebay. I'd trust it more than China intercoolers, I talked to Procharger a while back, and they said they tested them to 40psi. Supported 800 crank up or thereabouts.

Edit: For reference, this is about the size of them...I was actually thinking of putting mine under the front bumper.

2014_f150_2_2.jpg

Last edited:
The Powerstroke is larger and has more surface area. This helps cool large quantities of air efficiently.

Makes sense as a 7.3 makes 250-275 stock hp vs 160hp from a D250. If you can find one cheap it sounds like a good upgrade. Especially if your reworking your cold side turbo piping.

Last edited:
Makes sense as a 7.3 makes 250-275 stock hp vs 160hp from a D250. If you can find one cheap it sounds like a good upgrade. Especially if your reworking your cold side turbo piping.
And it has the needs of 7.3L per 2 revolutions than 5.9L.

From most of the intercooler swaps on the n/ic trucks I've seen the majority of them with a good portion of the plastic grill cut off from the back side. That would be what I am trying to avoid. I really don't want to cut up my NOS grille insert or switch to a tube grille, I'm just trying to make it all fit.

If you're worrying about a mod not conforming to OEM, or cutting up "nice" parts, then you need to visit the MoPar purist sites.
Or buy something that's hackable without remorse. :D

Most people modify their stuff on here.

Mark.

Back