Intercooling my 90

JunkResurrector

I know this topic has been beat around for years, but instead of doing the second gen intercooler, is there a commercial intercooler from any type of equipment (construction, tractor, whatever) that could fit behind my grille so that I wouldn't have to do nearly as much hacking? I'm sure it would be more expensive, but I'd gladly pay more for something I could make fit better.

A '99-'03 7.3L Powerstroke intercooler fits with minimal hacking. Obviously, still need to cut the core support for the in and outlets to poke through.

I wanted to do the 7.3 IC swap but the guy I paid for one just never felt like sending it to me... real glad I could help that lowlife

All of these involve a lot of hacking, surely there is something out there that can fit better than a 2nd gen or a 7.3 intercooler. I guess I'll just have to do some measuring and start searching.

I have contemplated it, but what kinds of gains do you see with a factory Cummins water to air intercooler? I've never been around one. A set up similar to a pulling truck with a separate water tank and pump set up just doesn't seem like something that would go well for a street/work truck.

I would suggest trying to locate a '91.5-'93 core support. You'd need to relocate the headlight buckets if you intend to keep the '89-'90 grill shell. However, when it comes to a PS intercooler, there would be very minimal modifications to be done for it to fit.

See my thread on DTR, here.... http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/powerstroke-i-c-install-294556/

EDIT: I see, now, that somehow the picture URLs got screwed. Give me a few. I'll gather all the pictures and post them here.

Last edited:
I've got a 7.3 IC and pipes that I could part with.
And I actually ship stuff when people pay me.
PM me if anyone is interested.

I've got a 93 core support from my parts truck, but I'm not sure how straight it is due to that truck hitting a deer. I hadn't thought about trying to use that. I plan to keep my 90 grille, will there still be enough room for the plastic grille insert? I hate to be that picky guy when my truck isn't that nice, but I don't like looking at stuff that has had a saw taken to it when it's right there on the front of the truck. I do really appreciate the help on this.

If you could use the '93 core support, it won't look like a saw attacked it even after the mods. I can't speak for there being enough room for the grill insert with the intercooler but it more than likely won't.

As of right now I don't have ac since the compressor was bypassed when I got the truck, that would give me more room until I decided to fix that.

Does the power stroke IC flow better or cool more affectively or is this aimed at those who have no IC or maybe a damaged IC?

What's with all the talk of having to "hack" things? Get the right tools, plan things and take your time to do a good job and all should be fine if you ask me.

Back