Intercooling my 90

JunkResurrector

I know this topic has been beat around for years, but instead of doing the second gen intercooler, is there a commercial intercooler from any type of equipment (construction, tractor, whatever) that could fit behind my grille so that I wouldn't have to do nearly as much hacking? I'm sure it would be more expensive, but I'd gladly pay more for something I could make fit better.

A '99-'03 7.3L Powerstroke intercooler fits with minimal hacking. Obviously, still need to cut the core support for the in and outlets to poke through.

Does the 7.3 intercooler fit well in the non-intercooled trucks? I thought they fit better in the intercooled trucks.

7.3 is popular with IC trucks. Non-IC I've seen people install a 2nd gen with better results.

I wanted to do the 7.3 IC swap but the guy I paid for one just never felt like sending it to me... real glad I could help that lowlife

Any good links to some threads with some pictures of 2nd gen vs. 7.3 intercooler installations in the early first gens?

I put a 2nd gen IC in a 93. Was a bunch of work. Il see if I can find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of these involve a lot of hacking, surely there is something out there that can fit better than a 2nd gen or a 7.3 intercooler. I guess I'll just have to do some measuring and start searching.

I have contemplated it, but what kinds of gains do you see with a factory Cummins water to air intercooler? I've never been around one. A set up similar to a pulling truck with a separate water tank and pump set up just doesn't seem like something that would go well for a street/work truck.

I would suggest trying to locate a '91.5-'93 core support. You'd need to relocate the headlight buckets if you intend to keep the '89-'90 grill shell. However, when it comes to a PS intercooler, there would be very minimal modifications to be done for it to fit.

See my thread on DTR, here.... http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/powerstroke-i-c-install-294556/

EDIT: I see, now, that somehow the picture URLs got screwed. Give me a few. I'll gather all the pictures and post them here.

Last edited:
I've got a 7.3 IC and pipes that I could part with.
And I actually ship stuff when people pay me.
PM me if anyone is interested.

I've got a 93 core support from my parts truck, but I'm not sure how straight it is due to that truck hitting a deer. I hadn't thought about trying to use that. I plan to keep my 90 grille, will there still be enough room for the plastic grille insert? I hate to be that picky guy when my truck isn't that nice, but I don't like looking at stuff that has had a saw taken to it when it's right there on the front of the truck. I do really appreciate the help on this.

If you could use the '93 core support, it won't look like a saw attacked it even after the mods. I can't speak for there being enough room for the grill insert with the intercooler but it more than likely won't.

As of right now I don't have ac since the compressor was bypassed when I got the truck, that would give me more room until I decided to fix that.

Does the power stroke IC flow better or cool more affectively or is this aimed at those who have no IC or maybe a damaged IC?

The Powerstroke is larger and has more surface area. This helps cool large quantities of air efficiently.

What's with all the talk of having to "hack" things? Get the right tools, plan things and take your time to do a good job and all should be fine if you ask me.

Back