Is 2.5 a step back for pullers?

JerrodGlover

Pulling God
History:

When I started pulling there were very few pulls that us new diesel truck pullers could compete. The gas truck guys didn't want us because our heavy, long and, good looking trucks were making it hard for them to win. The tractor guys didn't like us because of how good looking and young we were. After years of pulling for little or no payout most of the time before or after the event was over we won the crowd over and got our spot.

The good years:

After the dark ages of pulling with no diesel trucks came the good years. These were the years that Gene was fighting for standard rules all over the county. The promoters were seeing the draw of diesel trucks and the crowd that they bring. Payouts were getting better and our position in the pull schedule was prime time.

2.5 ruins the day?

I see more and more pulls picking up on the 2.5 class. While this looks great for truck pulling on the surface it brings some problems. While these starter classes are great at getting new guys into the sport and those new guys bring a great crowd. The problem with the lowest level of our sport is how cheap it is. The little guys don't have much invested, so they don't ask for much in payout. This is great for a fair on a budget but bad for pulling in the long run. If a fair thinks they can get trucks with a less costly class they seem to be skipping out on the more costly higher classes. My fear is soon there will be fewer pulls for the 3.0 and Mod classes. With fewer pulls for the upper classes fewer people will build trucks over the 2.5 level. This will make the class tougher and lead to the guys at the back of the pack to quit.

Thoughts?

Yes I understand where your coming from but the average joe like some of us cant afford a 2.6 truck or 3.0 truck. I love watching them pull. but the 2.6 trucks now adays are easly 1000+ hp and that cost some money.

History:

When I started pulling there were very few pulls that us new diesel truck pullers could compete. The gas truck guys didn't want us because our heavy, long and, good looking trucks were making it hard for them to win. The tractor guys didn't like us because of how good looking and young we were. After years of pulling for little or no payout most of the time before or after the event was over we won the crowd over and got our spot.

The good years:

After the dark ages of pulling with no diesel trucks came the good years. These were the years that Gene was fighting for standard rules all over the county. The promoters were seeing the draw of diesel trucks and the crowd that they bring. Payouts were getting better and our position in the pull schedule was prime time.

2.5 ruins the day?

I see more and more pulls picking up on the 2.5 class. While this looks great for truck pulling on the surface it brings some problems. While these starter classes are great at getting new guys into the sport and those new guys bring a great crowd. The problem with the lowest level of our sport is how cheap it is. The little guys don't have much invested, so they don't ask for much in payout. This is great for a fair on a budget but bad for pulling in the long run. If a fair thinks they can get trucks with a less costly class they seem to be skipping out on the more costly higher classes. My fear is soon there will be fewer pulls for the 3.0 and Mod classes. With fewer pulls for the upper classes fewer people will build trucks over the 2.5 level. This will make the class tougher and lead to the guys at the back of the pack to quit.

Thoughts?

I think there are several attractions to the 2.5...
Folks think it will be cheaper to build a top truck(False LOL)
They think the 1 ton driveline will stay together better(True)
They think they will perform better(True but just until the 2.6 goes away and those folks at the top of that class either go up or down)

The folks that I know that have went from 2.6 to 3.0 did it for reliability, better purses, etc

3.0 will suffer probably at the local level, but at the national level is growing well.

Last edited:
The way I see it 2.5 is taking the place of the old 2.6 street diesel, and 2.6 has far outgrown its beginnings as a hot street drivable diesel. As far as 2.6 and 3.0 entrys at local fairs that has been dwindling its because when one is in a competitive truck in those classes the local 200-300$ 1st isn't enough. So one would tend to follow a circuit for chances at better payouts

Around here, there is no 3.0. There was one organization running a 3.0 class but there were only a couple "true" 3.0 trucks that ran. We have plenty of good running 2.5 and 2.6 trucks though, and at some of our pulls the 2.5 class still draws 30+ trucks

I would say 2.5 is definitely hurting for 2.6 class in Northwest Ohio. The local clubs don't offer a 2.6 class. They have a work stock, farm stock ,2.5, and hot 2.5. Same trucks run all four classes. The spectators can't see the difference in the classes.

We won't even have a 2.5 class in western Pennsylvania, we go from work stock (stock appearing turbo) straight to 2.6 then to "run what ya brung" ( which is exactly what it sounds like). That is how full pull productions does it at least.

Around here, there is no 3.0. There was one organization running a 3.0 class but there were only a couple "true" 3.0 trucks that ran. We have plenty of good running 2.5 and 2.6 trucks though, and at some of our pulls the 2.5 class still draws 30+ trucks

Am I missing something? What clubs in the northeast ran 2.5 last year?

Shootout's 2.5 is also pretty dialed back compared to what guys are running other places.

Am I missing something? What clubs in the northeast ran 2.5 last year?

Shootout's 2.5 is also pretty dialed back compared to what guys are running other places.

Agreed. It is a workstock/2.5. I should have mentioned that. I think its more obtainable for the off the street guys.

While these starter classes are great at getting new guys into the sport and those new guys bring a great crowd. The problem with the lowest level of our sport is how cheap it is. The little guys don't have much invested.....
Apparently you haven't been to Indiana lately.
There's already some 2.5 trucks nippin at the heels of some of the 2.6 trucks around here.

The 2.5 class has nothing to do with it. All of these classes, 2.6, the old 2.8, 3.0, etc. started out at the "lowest level" and worked their way up.

You have to start somewhere...it's called progression.
It'll all work itself out in the end, one way or another.

There are already 1000hp 2.5 trucks out there and will be more this year. just saying

I know several guys that have been pulling worktstock/2.5 for years that are not pulling at all this year. We were actually talking about it today with a couple people. Considering more and more 2.6 trucks are dropping down to 2.5 its basically turned into 2.6. IDK what the future holds for 2.6, but it does seem like more and more people are dropping to 2.5 or jumping to 3.0.

In a few years I can see the 2.6 class being gone. Then you'll have 2.5 and 3.0

I see the same thing (muck like the old 2.8 class) if they keep it the way it currently is. Luckily in the Northeast we are WAY behind the curve (I think the Buck even ran a 2.8 class a little over a year ago [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyDbRAhWnIs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyDbRAhWnIs[/ame]) so we have several more years until we worry about it, then guys wallets will be hurting once again. 2.6 is to the point that Open Driveline would be MUCH cheaper.

In our area (Northeast), ideally you would have a "workstock" OEM turbo(s) class (feeder class), a 2.5 SRW class (some guys are putting out some impressive HP numbers on 2.5 turbos), and then an Open Driveline 2.6 class (to allow guys killing drivelines or those who want to be smart up front, a chance to upgrade). If you want to build a big boy truck (tube chassis with pulling tires), build it, just be prepared to travel. Not enough of those scratch built trucks in the Northeast for most clubs to offer a full time class.

The 2.5 SRW class would NOT be cheap (guys are going to spend the money nomatter what) but it would be cheaper to compete than what is offered with many current 2.6. I know the guys currently running/building 2.6 may not like it, but there is a reason Jerrod and others are seeing the trend they are.......
I just wish those around here would open their eyes to it.

Apparently you haven't been to Indiana lately.
There's already some 2.5 trucks nippin at the heels of some of the 2.6 trucks around here.

The 2.5 class has nothing to do with it. All of these classes, 2.6, the old 2.8, 3.0, etc. started out at the "lowest level" and worked their way up.

You have to start somewhere...it's called progression.
It'll all work itself out in the end, one way or another.

Progression is the BEST thing for the sport and was why diesel motorsports grew quickly. You had a stock turbo class, then some sort of "Hot" class, then some sort of 3.0 or extreme class. Back in the day 2.8 was the "Hot" class (bolt on an A5000 and go). Guys could logically progress and move up and new guys would move in and everything grew. Once the classes starting allowing more and more power the steps between classes grew. Once the step becomes too big, both classes suffer. Back in the early days a 2.8 truck was "impressive", but that same truck now would not even hold a candle to even a middle of the pack 2.6. The sport grew exponentially because progression made sense and was attainable to a large number of participants, those participants who kept pushing to push the limits of a class (instead of moving up or creating something new) are the ones who made progression unattainable for many of their followers.

One HUGE reason the 2.6 class is/was so big was because it was fun, exciting, and attainable. Many guys who originally broke ground in 2.6 were guys who competed in workstock or 2.5 and progressed into 2.6 with only minimal investment. To compete in 2.6 originally was not "cheap" but a hell of a lot cheaper than it is now. Some guys were even running stock short blocks in the beginning. A/W, duals, protrusion, etc, etc, etc just added cost, complexity, and higher maintenance.

Right now in many areas you have a "workstock" feeder class, then 2.6. Many workstock classes require an OEM turbo, so a guy who blew his up and bolted in a POS Aurora 3000 now has to compete in 2.6........ (good luck with that!). While he still won't come close to competing with a purpose built 2.5 SRW, it won't be as bad and the perception (which is HUGE in the world of pulling) is not as bad either.

Some say why not allow aftermarket turbos in workstock then, but that opens the door for purpose built turbos in a feeder class which does more harm than good. Yes it might help out a small percentage of trucks that have minimal mods but can't compete in workstock, it tends to alienate and deter more than it brings in.

What is best for the sport of truck pulling is logical progression, the problem is what is best for the sport might not be what is best for many of the John Smiths' of the world, so they'll fight it (ie the history of pulling).

Because 2.6 is where it currently is, it only makes sense that 2.5 has become very popular and is growing.

Last edited:
The 2.5 SRW class would NOT be cheap (guys are going to spend the money nomatter what) but it would be cheaper to compete than what is offered with many current 2.6. I know the guys currently running/building 2.6 may not like it, but there is a reason Jerrod and others are seeing the trend they are.......
I just wish those around here would open their eyes to it.

This is basically what class were having out here in Western Missouri. Quite a few interests in it. I was lucky enough to only be half way into my 2.6 build and ended up dropping back to 2.5 when they voted to have the class. It should definitely be a interesting year with the class out here, that's for sure!
And when guys talk about the price, it definitely isn't far behind the cost it takes to build a competitive 2.6 truck. Really all were lacking is air to water which honestly I probably have more invested in my air to air than I would of a air to water system. And the turbos... yea there definitely not a whole lot cheaper than a 2.6 charger.. to get one that will be at the top, it's still costing 3-4k.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

The only thing 2.5 will do is hurt the 2.6 class in a local level. Local pulls will take 2.5 everytime because of the cheaper payout. There's not a whole lot difference between the two classes and cost to build is the same in my eyes. I don't think this 2.5 class ever should have happened in the first place.

This is basically what class were having out here in Western Missouri. Quite a few interests in it. I was lucky enough to only be half way into my 2.6 build and ended up dropping back to 2.5 when they voted to have the class. It should definitely be a interesting year with the class out here, that's for sure!
And when guys talk about the price, it definitely isn't far behind the cost it takes to build a competitive 2.6 truck. Really all were lacking is air to water which honestly I probably have more invested in my air to air than I would of a air to water system. And the turbos... yea there definitely not a whole lot cheaper than a 2.6 charger.. to get one that will be at the top, it's still costing 3-4k.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Yeah, turbos are going to cost whether it be 2.2 or 4.2. Machining a turbo costs the same pretty much nomatter what size it is. Overall power output is where it will make a difference (as long as it's not allowed to end up as it has in other classes).

Does your 2.5 allow DRW? If not there is a good savings there (not only in not having to buy extra rims, extra tires, and often times extra adapters), but also in maintenance cost as you can usually keep the transfer case and ring and pinions in one piece for a much longer time. Even a stock carrier tends to hold up. Most guys get away with aftermarket stock splined shafts as well (vs. an aftermarket spool and larger splined axles). Not to mention the perception difference (not seeing 102" ass ends on a stock SRW fleetside).

While it isn't 30K in savings, it can make a difference.

I'm willing to bet if you had already put the A/W in, (and DRW with aftermarket spool, axles, adapters, etc if your current class doesn't allow it), I'm sure you would have posted differently (like the opinion of many of the others posting), but at least you can see the logic of where I'm coming from.

They just need to do away with the turbo and run NA diesels:) Big savings there.

I believe most 2.5 classes allow drw so wheres the cost difference. Not sure about the complaint about the duals at 102in on a srw bed. Because you can tuck the duals almost all the way under the bed on a 2.6 truck and it doesn't cost any different to do so.

Back