is a triple disk really needed?

pullinpower

I am gearing up to rebuild the 48re in my 06. I really don't like a triple in a DD . I want a good tight single. truck is basiclly stack and will remain that way . I have been researching the build for a year now. I will go with borg-warner hi energy clutches. VB/TC combo. and all the odds and ends to fix the normal issues. WIll a single hold up?

chris

Why don't you like a tripe in a DD, or why don't you think you want a triple?

I have one of Phils 3 disk converters, it's sweet. I'm pretty sure if you tell Jeff you want something that isn't real harsh he can make it for ya. I DD mine each day, towing from time to time, it's perfect, firm but not harsh...Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help out. ROB

Give us a call, we can discuss your set-up and expectations. The definition of "basically stock" varies from individual to individual. If you are under 500hp...a single would be more than enough.

that depends a lot on the VB not the converter so much. a single will hold under 500 but if you get the bug for more power you will have to upgrade

lock/unlock has to do with the valve body, not the clutch count of the converter... also, a looser converter will feel like it locks/unlocks more harshly

you can use a single disk up to 600hp or so IMO

Triple discs suck! Just ask Bill Kondolay LOL . I dont see any reason why not to go with a triple. As stated the harshness of the lockup is contingent on a couple of factors. Valve body setup has some to do with it, and as Forrest stated a looser stall converter will feel like it locks harder than a tight one, reason being that there is a great difference in the fluid coupling and lockup.

I'm way under 500hp. this is my family daily driver. all stock except a mild smarty. 3 other builders won't even talk about a single. Maybe someday I'll go bigger ,but for now with 2 kids under 2 years old reliability is more important. If infact a triple is the best way to go , I'll put out the extra coin. My big question is, Does a triple stress a stock input shaft to much? If so, can a less aggressive friction be used to absorb the shock?

why dont you just do a stock rebuild with a billet single disc, the shops around were i live charge about 2,000 to do it and say there good if you run only a small chip. My thoughts are if your going to rebuild it just do it right and wont have to mess with it again. But to help you out a Single built right will hold probably just as much if not more than a 3 disc if its built like Monster Mikes his are sweet,

I love my Triple from Garmon, its not like stock but not rough enough for me to worry about it or it to bother me. Been very happy with my 47re build, getting ready to start really looking for some more POWER!

Triple discs suck! Just ask Bill Kondolay LOL . I dont see any reason why not to go with a triple. As stated the harshness of the lockup is contingent on a couple of factors. Valve body setup has some to do with it, and as Forrest stated a looser stall converter will feel like it locks harder than a tight one, reason being that there is a great difference in the fluid coupling and lockup.

Actually he does make them but for only certain applications, when talking to them about a replacement converter for mine that has a piece of an input shaft stuck in it, they wanted me to run a triple disk.

Jim

When I was researching my convertor, several shops said the single will hold a lot more load than people think, however the clutch itself will wear out faster than it would as a single. The pressure feed in the valve body can be increased to make it not slip, but it's just like having brakes that are too small, you can still stop if you stand hard on the pedal, it's just going to wear prematurely. My convertor feed hole size is actually smaller than stock, and my Suncoast triple disc still hits pretty damn hard, it's the lowest stall they make also. I also have seen where the floaters or steel plates between the clutches in a multi-disc convertor will actually wear into the billet cover, if not properly hardened, sending out metal filings and wiping out the cover. Can't happen with a single disc, no floaters. (this was a purple convertor, though) Do you tow anything? Heavy? I would say a good, billet cover single is fine if you're really not going to add any power anytime soon.$.02 For what it's worth.....

a cheap pro torque single disc has held up in my truck for 3 years now. it has went from 460 hp to 636hp. a buddy of mine just got a garmon single disc. it is holding over 500hp no problem. and the price was unbeatible. you should also talk to them about a valve body. it is by far the best vb ive had in my truck yet. the way they setup the line pressure also has alot to do with the life of the tranny and converter.

what should the line presure be in the trans to make everything work right?from my understanding you check it in od @wot is this correct?

I am gearing up to rebuild the 48re in my 06. I really don't like a triple in a DD . I want a good tight single. truck is basiclly stack and will remain that way . I have been researching the build for a year now. I will go with borg-warner hi energy clutches. VB/TC combo. and all the odds and ends to fix the normal issues. WIll a single hold up?

chris

with a 06 and a smarty you will be right around 400-450hp on the lower levels and on the higher levels pushing 500-550hp. i laid down 507hp with a edge hot juice. the harshness of the lock up depends on the valve body and the TC stall. if you are going to daily drive it and not really tow you can go with a tighter converter and the lock up is not going to be as harsh.

Triple discs suck! Just ask Bill Kondolay

Funny, when I called because my single was slipping in a 15 second truck, they dropped a hint on upgrading to a triple.

Hydraulic efficiency is just as important or more to how hard a given TC locks.... as the VB is.

diesel auto trans is an art, trust me you can throw all the acclaimed parts in your shop and if you have no philosophy on what your doing and why you will get a truck that rides like a brick

The other issue with a clutch holding is the thickness of the apply piston that also has a flexing issue at high pressure. Phil has two different pistons he can use to build a converter. The cheaper billit single disc's that can be bought from companys like transtar have the stock lock up piston that in my opinion flexes more than the cover! I can buy those converters for around 400 dollars, but I don't anymore since cutting a few open I think without both cover and lock up piston being billit you are wasting your time!
Bottom line is a triple disc will allow the line pressure to be set lower for mild shifting. I personally like the cd to skip a song or two when shifting!:rockwoot:

Back