Is the VP44 as bad as everyone says?

that's cool... a lot of people like them, and the prices on them have come WAY down (all of them have, but you can get into a VP truck CHEAP!!!! now)

I wouldnt even think of taping a vp44 untill it had a fuel system, after that they are pretty darn good trucks...and pretty cheap, especially if the pump is already out of it :evil

They are as bad as everyone says.

That's why everyone says it.

A reliable VP is the exception, not the rule.

Don't get me wrong: I love my truck to death. Couldn't be happier with it. But I'm not going to mislead people and claim that the VP is anything other than a headache.

My stock VP had great fuel pressure, always had fuel conditioner, and I rarely ran the FMS box with any additional fuel on. The electronics failed. Left me stranded in downtown Spokane in one of the biggest snow storms of the year.

I couldn't be happier with my SHO pump, but it isn't the final answer in my mind. I love the adjustability of a VP (being able to change power levels on the fly vs a p-pump), but there is no question I will p-pump mine WHEN (not if) the VP fails again. It may take another 100-200k miles.. But I always keep the fact that the little bastard could fail again at any moment without warning in the back of my mind.

They are as bad as everyone says.

That's why everyone says it.

A reliable VP is the exception, not the rule.

Don't get me wrong: I love my truck to death. Couldn't be happier with it. But I'm not going to mislead people and claim that the VP is anything other than a headache.

My stock VP had great fuel pressure, always had fuel conditioner, and I rarely ran the FMS box with any additional fuel on. The electronics failed. Left me stranded in downtown Spokane in one of the biggest snow storms of the year.

I couldn't be happier with my SHO pump, but it isn't the final answer in my mind. I love the adjustability of a VP (being able to change power levels on the fly vs a p-pump), but there is no question I will p-pump mine WHEN (not if) the VP fails again. It may take another 100-200k miles.. But I always keep the fact that the little bastard could fail again at any moment without warning in the back of my mind.

In that case every vehicle is a pos. At any given moment a U-joint can fail, a carrier bearing, transmission, clutch hydraulics, Brake calipers, steering boxes. I got stranded in the middle of Route 68 while towing 12k# because my wheelbearing hub assembly came apart & was only hanging by my axle. That is in the back of my mind more than a injection pump failure.

In that case every vehicle is a pos. At any given moment a U-joint can fail, a carrier bearing, transmission, clutch hydraulics, Brake calipers, steering boxes. I got stranded in the middle of Route 68 while towing 12k# because my wheelbearing hub assembly came apart & was only hanging by my axle. That is in the back of my mind more than a injection pump failure.

You just picked a bunch of universal components that could fail on any vehicle.

The VP is a specific component that frequently fails on our vehicles.

There is a significant difference. There is also a significant cost difference. Thank god "every vehicle" doesn't have a VP.. but there isn't much we can do about u-joints, carrier bearings, transmissions, clutch hydraulics.... ... But we can do something about the VP.

My truck has 220k on it right now, add in the miles driven with 285 and larger tires for the past 140k without a correction box and it's probably closer to 240k. It's been limped down the shoulder spitting and sputtering to get off the road to change lift pumps twice. It was driven 400 miles on a stock lift pump that held 0 psi pressure (first shop day, knew no better, no telling how long it had been like that). It has had used motor oil, veggie oil, hydraulic fluid, tranny fluid and Lord only knows what else run through it. The wire has been tapped since around 90k or so, and has been good enough to do in 3 different clutches and tow 16k all over the southeast. Yeah, the VP's suck, guess that's why I haven't had to put one on mine yet.

That said, your results WILL vary, and I know that my pump is on it's last legs, when it is pulled off and replaced it's getting mounted on the wall with a "One of a kind" sign below it LOL

I guess I have one of those rare trucks too! I have 70k on my hrvp, pump has been tapped since day one, I rolled my other truck it was on, now this one I have 30k uncorrected with 35" tires, and has been shut down numerous times getting off the throttle too hard!

but because i posted this it will probably quit tomorrow! It's ok I have a new pump on the shelf!

I believe it depends on which pump you buy also! if you buy a cheaply rebuilt pump, it liable to fail, but you buy a reputable shop reman then you truely are gettin a better pump!

You just picked a bunch of universal components that could fail on any vehicle.

The VP is a specific component that frequently fails on our vehicles.

There is a significant difference. There is also a significant cost difference. Thank god "every vehicle" doesn't have a VP.. but there isn't much we can do about u-joints, carrier bearings, transmissions, clutch hydraulics.... ... But we can do something about the VP.

I'm just saying that all parts can fail at any time. VP44's have come a long way & the newer ones seem to last a long time with proper fuel supply.

What would you rather have a VP that you will have to replace every 100,000 miles, or one of those new fancy common rails that are melting pistons left and right and nobody can figure out why???

a friend of mine went 420000 miles on his stock HO pump.. only reason he doesnt drive it anymore is cuz a guy sideswiped him on the highway and totalled out the truck... he was on top of everything with the truck too, like frequent oil changes and he was able to catch the lift pumps everytime before they died, so the VP was never ran low on fuel.

so whats the highest amount of power i could get out of one of these and still be reliable?

a buddy of mine has got 99 1ton tows and hauls everyday edge juice,150 tips,stage 1 schied cam,hx35/ht3b,rapter pump,cermic single disc he laid down a very strong 499

What would you rather have a VP that you will have to replace every 100,000 miles, or one of those new fancy common rails that are melting pistons left and right and nobody can figure out why???

LMFAO... so true

I like the vp44. Seems everyone is switching to a ppump. Ill keep mine till it dies and then decide where to go from there. I just want a 500hp daily driver.

one of the benefits i see is being able to change settings on the fly depending on what your doing with the truck.

i have a 500+ hp DD and it runs as strong today as it did 5 years ago. when i first bought my truck, i did research on it and found out the cure to the problem of the vp44's dying out was providing a good amount of fuel pressure. so, i bought a FASS and til this day my truck has been great! no matter what the p-pump will always trump all other pumps. period. this isn't news. dont matter what you got, vp44, dodge cr, dura cr or a ford #%&@ pump. THE P PUMP WILL ALWAYS TRUMP. sometimes i read different threads and its like throw away whatever u got and p pump it. once again, through my experience with my 500+ hp vp44 dd truck, i love it! it is smooth power. as of this day, i have no desire at all to ever put a p pump on my truck.

Mine has been reliable... I am on my second vp-44 but I kind of made the first one fail at about 70k to get it covered under warranty. The stock lift pump failed and I kept driving it like that another 10-12k miles till I started getting codes and dead pedal... 100k mile warranty covered a new vp and lift pump. After that I changed from an edge EZ to the drag comp and been spending money on it ever since... only thing that has broke though has been the rear pinion... knock on wood...

I love the fact with the vp's you can turn the comp on and off, or up and down on the fly... plus, injectors are cheap and don't fail as often as on common rails...

Wish we had more high RPM options though!

I understand the rebuilt pumps get updated parts and electronics...I'm guessing they're better than new.

my first pump went about 310 000km and im at 340 now tapped. i dont feel there that bad it was 1000 bucks for a new pump which isnt much. and as much as i would like 600hp of fuel all the time i like being able to adjust it. i dont feel there as bad as there made out to be. but i guess im more lucky then some

Back